Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.138.144
Sign in to follow this  
lightleptonparticle

What DNS servers should one use?

After I executed the openvpn application, it altered my /etc/resolv.conf to contain this:

nameserver 127.0.1.1
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

Is this what it should contain?

What is 127.0.1.1? The two other are the OpenDNS servers I assume?

After I executed the openvpn application, it altered my /etc/resolv.conf to contain this:

nameserver 127.0.1.1

127.0.0.1 is the "local host". It is an internal IP address that processes on your PC can use to communicate with each other. It cannot be accessed from outside your machine and cannot access anything outside your machine.

It is typically present in /etc/resolv.conf so that you can run your own DNS reslover.

The other is indeed OpenDNS as you can deterimine by using a "who is" service.

You must have put these there yourself. Or they were already there when you installed Linux (i.e. 127.0.0.1).

nameserver 127.0.1.1

127.0.0.1 is the "local host". It is an internal IP address that processes on your PC can use to communicate with each other. It cannot be accessed from outside your machine and cannot access anything outside your machine.

It is typically present in /etc/resolv.conf so that you can run your own DNS reslover.

The other is indeed OpenDNS as you can deterimine by using a "who is" service.

You must have put these there yourself. Or they were already there when you installed Linux (i.e. 127.0.0.1).

I misread this at first too, but it is actually 127.0.1.1, not 127.0.0.1, I know localhost is 127.0.0.1.

Any address in the 127.0.0.0/24 subnet will function just like 127.0.0.1.

To see for yourself, in one console window do:

nc -l 18965

In another do:

echo hello | nc 127.0.1.1 18965

I saw something after a quick google saying that it may be there as a work around for some bug in a (presumably DNS related) package.

Any address in the 127.0.0.0/24 subnet will function just like 127.0.0.1.

To see for yourself, in one console window do:

nc -l 18965

In another do:

echo hello | nc 127.0.1.1 18965

I saw something after a quick google saying that it may be there as a work around for some bug in a (presumably DNS related) package.

Yeah I actually found something saying about the same thing. Thanks, although I'm still wondering the following:

1: What DNS servers am I supposed to use?

2: How can I avoid DNS requests going outside the tunnel?

I had a DNS leak about a year or two ago but was able to plug the leak thanks to advice from the AirVPN Team.  This morning, I discovered the DNS leak was back!  The culprit, it turns out, was the Netgear router I purchased recently.  There is a setting where you can either allow your ISP to determine the nameserver to be used or you can input the IP address of your own preferred namserver.  The default was the former.  So I had unknowingly been using my ISPs nameserver for the past couple of weeks.  But things appear to be back to normal now.