Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.98.190
Sign in to follow this  
jinxite

Bitcoin Vs. Traditional Sign-Up

I'm curious. Is the anonymity implied by Bitcoin sign-up irrelevant with a VPN like yours because one needs to connect to your server from their IP, anyway? (I'm referring to direct connections, not from TOR or SSH). Even though you wouldn't have a name or address, these can be easily linked to an IP (unless one is using non-home public locations).

I've used Bitcoin and traditional sign-up methods here, but this occurred to me today as I was organizing a Bitcoin transaction.

Since AirVpn doesn't keep logs and all connections come up as 127.0.0.1 (localhost), how "dangerous" is traditional sign-up, and how "secure" is anon via Bitcoin in a practical sense?

The question of identity is one whether your real name and bank account are connected to your signup (Paypal will have detailed records on the transaction), or whether an IP address is connected to your signup. But Air doesn't log, so that last point is moot.

It all comes down to whether you want to bring in a third party to the transaction between you and Air; that would be Paypal. If not, then using Bitcoin cuts out the middleman and allows you to conduct as anonymous of a transaction as you wish. That means using an e-mail address that is sufficiently private. A Tormail address would definitely do the job in that sense.

Remember, Paypal is a licensed financial institution in the United States. If, one day, the US Government decided to ask them to identify each user who's signed up for VPN services, they would have very little of a disincentive to comply. When challenged by the government for this type of information, most corporations roll over almost immediately. That's the risk you're taking by signing up with Paypal when you're not required to (unlike some other major VPN providers, which do require it).