Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.54.7
kznx02938

misskey.io (Japanese Social Media Platform) signup blocked from all JPN connections

Posted ... (edited)

Hello,
It seems like I am blocked from signing up to misskey.io from the Japanese connections provided.
Please note that you are only able to join misskey.io from a Japanese connection, as all other countries are blocked.
Other services are blocked too. (Mullvad / PIA)
Is there any way around this? Or have they defeated VPNs?

image attached is their popup notifying that their service is unavailable ( if you have a connection other than japan )

image.png

Edited ... by kznx02938

Isn't Misskey a decentral social network software like Mastodon? Shouldn't the solution be to simply use another instance?
Also better for the Fediverse as a whole because the users are not concentrated on one single instance as it is with mastodon.social in the case of Mastodon.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

yes, Misskey is a decentralized platform, and I apologize for my ignorance regarding these platforms, but Misskey.io is the main instance that has the most concentration of users. I'm not aware of a way to view misskey posts while on another instance.

21 hours ago, kznx02938 said:

I'm not aware of a way to view misskey posts while on another instance.

Probably stems from your ignorance about these platforms, but usually @name refers to a user on your instance, @name@notmine.tld to a user on the instance notmine.tld. The latter is not necessarily a Misskey instance, it can be any ActivityPub-speaking software including Mastodon, Pleroma, PeerTube and of course Misskey itself. The feed works according to this drawing, a toot being a post on Misskey:
db982ce2959834e6.thumb.jpg.38c6b1d80350bb4d1a48b938d1a20cea.jpg
Short explanation: If you register on sushi.ski, which is the fourth-biggest Misskey instance, you can view posts from
  • @inu on your instance, sushi.ski (full name would be @inu@sushi.ski)
  • @neko@misskey.io from misskey.io
  • and even @opensorcerer@nerdculture.de, which is my account on an instance of another software entirely.
So the notion that one needs to register on misskey.io to view misskey.io posts stems directly from being familiar with how centralized social networks like Facebook and Twitter always worked. The only little "downside" to this structure is that, if you are not on misskey.io and you view the federated timeline, you will be seeing posts from all instances in sight of your instance; that is, all instances in which there is at least one user from your instance who follows a user from that instance. But since misskey.io is the biggest instance, you will probably see a bit more from there, no matter where you register.

In any case, your personal timeline will always be populated by those you follow, no matter their instance. And as explained, that timeline can have people from your own, other or instances from other softwares entirely. The magic of decentralized social networking.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.