Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.131.178
Old Fella

Android Intents Question

Hi, recently I have found Eddie to be very stable on my Android devices using OpenVPN, not so much using Wireguard. For a while I've been using Tasker and the Autonotification add on to monitor whether Eddie was still running and alert me as such so that I could manually reconnect. I've recently been messing with intents in Tasker and learning Java (not a requirement but I was a programmer and is fun to me to learn such things) - this is a long learning curve for me since I'm not able to quickly learn stuff anymore. but I'll get there sometime.

I was wondering if anyone had used intents to restart Eddie (log back in, reconnect to a server, whatever) and where to find out what intents are required to instruct Eddie to do things. I used to root my devices but not anymore since I can get to do whatever I want to using adb if I need to.

I sign nothing, much

Still getting older....

7 hours ago, Old Fella said:

Hi, recently I have found Eddie to be very stable on my Android devices using OpenVPN, not so much using Wireguard. For a while I've been using Tasker and the Autonotification add on to monitor whether Eddie was still running and alert me as such so that I could manually reconnect. I've recently been messing with intents in Tasker and learning Java (not a requirement but I was a programmer and is fun to me to learn such things) - this is a long learning curve for me since I'm not able to quickly learn stuff anymore. but I'll get there sometime.

I was wondering if anyone had used intents to restart Eddie (log back in, reconnect to a server, whatever) and where to find out what intents are required to instruct Eddie to do things. I used to root my devices but not anymore since I can get to do whatever I want to using adb if I need to.

if you use the official wireguard or openvpn apps, you won't need to manually restart or configure it to restart when the connection drops. you can download them from https://airvpn.org/android/ 

for some reason when I used Eddie, at least once (and sometimes more than 5) times a day I saw that I had no connection, and I had to manually open eddie, and hit the connect button
when I download the config files and installed Wireguard from the play store, never again do I have to manually re-connect ;  I also tried in another device with OpenVPN instead of wireguard and it works like a charm.
I don't know why Eddie failed to keep the connection alive, or even re-connect when it lost it. I tried all settings and nothing made it work. I also tested it with multiple android devices. Too many problems with Eddie, but perfect with the configuration files and the default apps.

Yeah, same experience here. I keep going back to Eddie when new releases come around or the mood takes me and I tried it again a few days ago. Using Wireguard I got the same drop outs but with Openvpn it is still connected after three days now on both an S9 tablet and an S22 mobile, both Android 14. After figuring out a tasker profile to monitor Eddie's notification entry, which just altered a widget on screen, I then thought I'd try ways of restarting it if it dissapeard. Using Autoinput was my first thought but that is messy and not a reliable option in this instance. So I thought of intents  which I have messed with but only by copying what others had done; never come up with my own stuff.

I found out you can generate a package manifest using Android Studio which contains some or all of the intents the package listens for so am going to try that and see what it comes up with and then try some things. I'll post with updates if there are any!

I sign nothing, much

Still getting older....