Not connected, Your IP: 18.226.169.94
airussy

Upload speeds are extremely slow

Hey,
I am using AirVPN with gluetun and a port froward port, however not matter what server I choose UK, Sweden, Netherlands my download speed is max 20Mb/s (which for my 150 Mbit/s internet is fine) but uploading is extremely slow 1 Mb/s maximum. I am not sure why the upload speed is so slow when I have tested it on fast.com and it is 200 Mbit/s. How could I improve my upload speed?

You should get upload of at least 5 mbps in real world, but take note I don't know why some tests like speedtest fail to do the upload test or report extremely low upload speeds. Transmission torrent client however seams to work well. What is your upload speed without the VPN on?

21 minutes ago, ss11 said:

You should get upload of at least 5 mbps in real world, but take note I don't know why some tests like speedtest fail to do the upload test or report extremely low upload speeds. Transmission torrent client however seams to work well. What is your upload speed without the VPN on?

On speettest my upload speed is 150Mbps without vpn which should be 15Mbit/s. I am too using Transmission (version 3 as 4 was buggy for me) on Mullvad I never had this issue which is why I am surprised at the low upload speed. Any advice would appreciate it. Also out of curiosity what is your set up and upload speeds?

My setup is OpenVPN 2.6.2 in UDP mode and tls-crypt, Transmission 4.0.3 and ISP is fiber optic directly to router, 2gbps download / 1gbps upload.

On 9/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, ss11 said:

My setup is OpenVPN 2.6.2 in UDP mode and tls-crypt, Transmission 4.0.3 and ISP is fiber optic directly to router, 2gbps download / 1gbps upload.

I updated to new transmission as well 4.0.4 and use wireguard. Now something I noticed is that upload speed goes high up to 11Mb/s when I have a lot of peers but when it's only few it barely goes above 500KB/s. I have fibre optic too 150MBpit/s dl and upl. A bit of a head scratcher. I also did a speedtest with it and it seemed fine but on p2p speed suffers when it's just small amount of peers.

Do you have IPv6 at home? If yes, try to connect to the VPN over IPv6 vs IPv4. In Config Generator that's under Advanced, "IP layer Enter:"
IPv6 should work around MTU issues on its own, beyond that it's almost guaranteed to have different routing on the way to the server too.

13 hours ago, Stalinium said:

Do you have IPv6 at home? If yes, try to connect to the VPN over IPv6 vs IPv4. In Config Generator that's under Advanced, "IP layer Enter:"
IPv6 should work around MTU issues on its own, beyond that it's almost guaranteed to have different routing on the way to the server too.

I do but I have the VPN port forward to do only IPV4 I haven't enabled docker ipv6 yet but why would that matter? Will it make my speed faster via IPV6?

Connecting to AirVPN via IPv6 still gives you IPv4 and IPv6 exit IPs. Only how you connect to the server changes. Yes to your question, I explained why.