Not connected, Your IP: 3.143.228.40
sjf@iname.com

Connecting using Goldcrest and other Suite questions..

Hi,

I am trying to use the AirVPN Suite on Ubuntu Server but have some confusion that is not addressed by the documentation,

1. I can connect using "goldcrest --air-connect", however if I close the ssh session or CTRL+C, the bluetit connection goes away. I thought Goldcrest is there to 'remote control' the service via D-Bus. How can I tell the service to connect, and remain connected even after Goldcrest exits?

2. I have set up the airusername and airpassword fields in /etc/airvpn/bluetit.rc, but when I use Goldcrest to connect it still asks me for the username and password - how can I make it use the settings in bluetit.rc?

3. I have added a user to the group airvpn, but still cannot use goldcrest without sudo. It just says, e.g,

2023-09-02 23:40:46 DBusConnectorException: DBusConnector: request name error "org.airvpn.client" - Connection ":1.182" is not allowed to own the service "org.airvpn.client" due to security policies in the configuration file

Even though the user is in the airvpn group...

ubuntu@wyse:~$ groups
ubuntu adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lxd airvpn

What else do I need to do besides adding my user to the group?

4. When bluetit is connected, I cannot make additional ssh connections to the server. Why is this?

Kind regards,

Sj

7 hours ago, sjf@iname.com said:

2. I have set up the airusername and airpassword fields in /etc/airvpn/bluetit.rc, but when I use Goldcrest to connect it still asks me for the username and password - how can I make it use the settings in bluetit.rc?

Goldcrest uses its own settings in ~.config/goldcrest.rc or ~/.golcrest.rc. bluetit.rc is for when you start Bluetit via Systemd for example.

3. I have added a user to the group airvpn, but still cannot use goldcrest without sudo. It just says, e.g,

Did you relog the user after adding?

4. When bluetit is connected, I cannot make additional ssh connections to the server. Why is this?

Network Lock, maybe?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

8 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Goldcrest uses its own settings in ~.config/goldcrest.rc or ~/.golcrest.rc. bluetit.rc is for when you start Bluetit via Systemd for example.

OK I see! In that case though how do I start bluetit via systemd or another method? The service is already running as I can see with "sudo service bluetit status". I can restart it, in which case it actually says at the end..

Sep 03 15:17:40 wyse bluetit[14558]: Starting OpenVPN Connection
Sep 03 15:17:40 wyse bluetit[14558]: OpenVPN3 client successfully created and initialized.

But giving the command "sudo goldcrest --bluetit-status", it still says it is not connected:

2023-09-03 15:17:53 Bluetit is ready
2023-09-03 15:17:53 Network filter and lock is not available
2023-09-03 15:17:53 Bluetit is not connected

Did you relog the user after adding?

Yes I have even rebooted. I can see the group in the groups for that user, and that user in the groups in in /etc/group. 

Network Lock, maybe?

That is what I thought at first, but isn't the point of network lock to disable connections when the VPN is *inactive*?

The full log of Bluetit would be much more interesting, not what you think might be relevant.

# systemctl restart bluetit.service && sleep 5 && journalctl -u bluetit.service -S -1m

Also, can you please post the contents of /etc/airvpn/bluetit.rc?

$ grep -e . /etc/airvpn/bluetit.rc

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.