Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.42.196
Gabi

ANSWERED Can't install AirVPN/Eddie on Linux Ubuntu

Hello,

I just spent 2 entire hours trying to install AirVPN's Eddie Client for Linux Ubuntu. I have previously installed 6 different VPN Clients without any problem. Whenever I'm asked to enter my password in the terminal, nothing happens afterwards. It just gets stuck and trying to close the terminal will result in a message that it is still running. I have even waited for an hour now, nothing happens. Even trying the AppImage, I just get connection errors when running the Client. "Bootstrap failed".

I will quickly go through my install attempt first. Excuse me, if I made any obvious mistake here. I haven’t been using Linux for too long and I usually use the manuals to install software. I previously installed Mullvad, IVPN, ProtonVPN or Windscibe to name a few. This is what I did:

Download
Linux > 64bit > Debian/Ubuntu > Graphical UI

Terminal
curl -fsSL https://eddie.website/repository/keys/eddie_maintainer_gpg.key
This step works just fine.
sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/eddie.website-keyring.asc > /dev/null
Now the problems begin. I’m asked to enter my password and nothing happens afterwards. The password was typed in correctly.

It doesn’t work with Software & Updates either.

Trying to skip this.

echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/eddie.website-keyring.asc] http://eddie.website/repository/apt stable main"
Works fine

The following step will result in the terminal running idle, doing nothing It also doesn’t work with the package manager.

Obviously
sudo apt install eddie-ui
Won’t work either using the older syntax doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Gabi said:
sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/eddie.website-keyring.asc > /dev/null
Now the problems begin. I’m asked to enter my password and nothing happens afterwards. The password was typed in correctly.

Be advised that tee does not read a file, it reads any input (typed, or from a pipe | ) and directs that input to the specified file and the standard output stream (called stdout). The correct way would be:

curl -fsSL https://eddie.website/repository/keys/eddie_maintainer_gpg.key | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/eddie.website-keyring.asc >/dev/null

curl writes what it gets from that URL to the standard input stream (called stdin), which is then piped to sudo tee, which writes the output to that file and to stdout. But since we redirect all streams to /dev/null, we see nothing in the terminal. Only the file is written.

Also, the usual location for keys of DEB packagers is /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d. If you write it there, the signed-by option in the source file can be omitted.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Be advised that tee does not read a file, it reads any input (typed, or from a pipe | ) and directs that input to the specified file and the standard output stream (called stdout). The correct way would be:

curl -fsSL https://eddie.website/repository/keys/eddie_maintainer_gpg.key | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/eddie.website-keyring.asc >/dev/null

curl writes what it gets from that URL to the standard input stream (called stdin), which is then piped to sudo tee, which writes the output to that file and to stdout. But since we redirect all streams to /dev/null, we see nothing in the terminal. Only the file is written.

Also, the usual location for keys of DEB packagers is /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d. If you write it there, the signed-by option in the source file can be omitted.
Thank you for your help, I also tried to copy the entire command without result.

I however managed to install the AppImage download. I re-installed it and it suddenly decided to work. But...

Since Eddie has created a connection, the client itself is lagging pretty badly. It is only the client, scrolling down comes with delays and hickups. I'm not sure if I should open a second topic for this issue. 

My system is fine and other software doesn't lag at all. I'm sure Eddie won't be able to wrestle down my machine. Any suggestions? The notebook is rather new and so is the system.

6 minutes ago, Gabi said:

Thank you for your help, I also tried to copy the entire command without result.

Use wget instead.

wget -O - https://eddie.website/repository/keys/eddie_maintainer_gpg.key | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/eddie.website-keyring.asc >/dev/null

8 minutes ago, Gabi said:

My system is fine and other software doesn't lag at all. I'm sure Eddie won't be able to wrestle down my machine. Any suggestions? The notebook is rather new and so is the system.

I don't have much experience with AppImage myself, but from others I hear it's not always a good experience. I make a point of always running applications natively. :)

52 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Use wget instead.

wget -O - https://eddie.website/repository/keys/eddie_maintainer_gpg.key | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/eddie.website-keyring.asc >/dev/null

I don't have much experience with AppImage myself, but from others I hear it's not always a good experience. I make a point of always running applications natively. :)
I kicked off the Eddie Client created via AppImage and went through the regular installation steps with the help you provided and I finally managed to make it work. The Eddie Client suddenly doesn't lag anymore when installed through the terminal and all seems to work as it is supposed to. Not sure if this is a common problem with AppImage.

But thank you a lot for your great and fast help.

4 hours ago, Gabi said:

Not sure if this is a common problem with AppImage

As I wrote, I hear disappointment from a good portion of users. :)

Enjoy!