Not connected, Your IP: 3.19.27.178
peterkse

Slow torrent upload speeds

I've recently started using AirVPN,

however, from previously having extremely good seed ratio, I just can't seem to get good upload rates anymore. Is there something I'm missing?

image.png.2cd7c6a96afe5eb0c554b8e7d9bea0ee.png
Example of torrent during download, download speeds are always very fast - up to 95% of my normal max bandwith so I'm MORE than happy. However uploading is horribly slow.

Without the VPN, I would typically reach 1.0+ seed ratio quick, good speed since I have 500/500 fiber. Private tracker, so no DHT, PEX, uTP, etc. I'm doing port forwarding, which is why I chose AirVPN.
Download speeds through the VPN peak at 45-48 Mbyte/sec, so it's plenty fast down. But rarely see anything above 0.5MB/s going up.

Anyone know if AirVPN limits torrenting?

2 hours ago, peterkse said:

Anyone know if AirVPN limits torrenting?

I can say with absolute certainty that it is not the case.

First thing that comes to mind is the send buffer size; I think it was 8192 Bytes or something on Windows by default, at least on 8 and 10. Adequate for DSL, too little for Fiber.
In Eddie, set the send buffer in Preferences > Networking to 512 KB and reconnect.

Second thing that comes to mind: Did you verify that the port is indeed open? If only upload is affected, maybe you don't get enough incoming connections?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

36 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

I can say with absolute certainty that it is not the case.

First thing that comes to mind is the send buffer size; I think it was 8192 Bytes or something on Windows by default, at least on 8 and 10. Adequate for DSL, too little for Fiber.
In Eddie, set the send buffer in Preferences > Networking to 512 KB and reconnect.

Second thing that comes to mind: Did you verify that the port is indeed open? If only upload is affected, maybe you don't get enough incoming connections?

Hi and thanks, Good to hear it's not limited.

I've used the Test Open buttons under the Client Area -> Forwarded Ports, and both IPv4 shows Open when I press that.

I do not use Eddie, following some guides here I've installed installed WireSock on my Windows Server 2019. I run both uTorrent (private trackers) and qBittorrent (public trackers). Both are tied to the VPN tunnel and only those two apps are approved in the WireSock config, as it's really only the torrent traffic I want to hide. Tried googling, but could not find  a similar setting send buffer for WireSock?

As an example - I've tried again downloading the most recent torrent, this time with a public tracker instead of private. With some 40 peers connected and 220 leechers in the swarm, most of my peers with 0 B/s, this after 30min of seeding. 
image.thumb.png.644cff416e2474dfe7b901fe48eaa266.png

Are your torrent clients maybe limiting the number of slots? How many upload and overall slots did you configure?

Also, I'm not too sure about running two torrent clients simultaneously. Is there a reason why you separate "public" and "private"?

Posted ... (edited)
On 8/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

Are your torrent clients maybe limiting the number of slots? How many upload and overall slots did you configure?

Also, I'm not too sure about running two torrent clients simultaneously. Is there a reason why you separate "public" and "private"?

Appreciate your feedback. The dual torrent clients is due to private trackers not allowing DHT, PEX and such. Because most of my downloads are done through Radarr or Sonarr and I can't really change those settings individually per download it's been the easiest way to manage it with two programs, not to get banned from the private trackers.

I run with the same settings as I did prior to VPN, when I got really good upload speeds all the time. Sort of, the only thing changed is that I'm now behind a VPN. It happens independently if there's activity on the other torrent app or not.

I'm really struggling to understand, if it's maybe a time delay getting through the tunnel or something making peers rather choose other clients to download from or what? Or is it just so that.... torrenting through VPN's just isn't better than this? Because the difference is so significant (estimate I'm getting 5% of my previous performance on average) I was hoping for something not set correctly. Edited ... by peterkse

5 hours ago, peterkse said:

Appreciate your feedback. The dual torrent clients is due to private trackers not allowing DHT, PEX and such. Because most of my downloads are done through Radarr or Sonarr and I can't really change those settings individually per download it's been the easiest way to manage it with two programs, not to get banned from the private trackers.

I'd say it's the index's problem. You can configure torrent files to easily disallow these three. But I guess you use magnet links with Radarr/Sonarr, so probably not an option.

5 hours ago, peterkse said:

I'm really struggling to understand, if it's maybe a time delay getting through the tunnel or something making peers rather choose other clients to download from or what? Or is it just so that.... torrenting through VPN's just isn't better than this? Because the difference is so significant (estimate I'm getting 5% of my previous performance on average) I was hoping for something not set correctly.

I'm a little interested in the flags all those peers have in your torrent client, especially the 0 ones. Because they are definitely peers connected to your client, so why is it upload is denied? A bit unfortunate that you've cut out that info.

On 8/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, peterkse said:
image.thumb.png.644cff416e2474dfe7b901fe48eaa266.png

Also, is this the client with DHT disabled? If no, how many DHT nodes does the client count? Did you verify all trackers returning a sufficient amount of peers or are there some blocking the connection?

1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:
I'm a little interested in the flags all those peers have in your torrent client, especially the 0 ones. Because they are definitely peers connected to your client, so why is it upload is denied? A bit unfortunate that you've cut out that info.

Also, is this the client with DHT disabled? If no, how many DHT nodes does the client count? Did you verify all trackers returning a sufficient amount of peers or are there some blocking the connection?

This was the client with DHT disabled, since I'm more fuzzed about keeping my ratio etc on private trackers the upload is very important to me. I will try to give better screenshot next time.

Here's a more recent example, plenty of chokes. Sure enough I'm maxing out my down speed and this is quite impressive down through a VPN with a 500/500 I must say.

image.thumb.png.a0bfa9d182fa90aae8dcf3c1bbf089e7.png

7 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

This is puzzling… do you experience this with all servers?

I'd have to play around with that and test, for now it's just choosing a server from one specific country.

Well, i have the same problem, but it seems its not only the torrents.

I have a 1000/250 fiber line, and until recently (do not know exactly when) AirVPN was maxing out the upload bandwidth

Now, every server it caps at 10Mbits. 

Tried with Wireguard and OpenVPN

On 8/18/2023 at 1:37 AM, Kafteras said:

Well, i have the same problem, but it seems its not only the torrents.

I have a 1000/250 fiber line, and until recently (do not know exactly when) AirVPN was maxing out the upload bandwidth

Now, every server it caps at 10Mbits. 

Tried with Wireguard and OpenVPN

Different problem, different setup. Open your own thread.