Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.142.248
dalesd

How do I kill eddie when it acts up?

I've been having problems with Eddie not responding. Similar to the "Eddie Client "minimize to tray" doesn't work on openSUSE KDE/Plasma" bug.  I'm using Ubuntu Mate 22.04 and Eddie 2.23.1  

Eddie takes on the appearance of whatever app was last on top of it, there's no way to close it. The tray icon is still there but it is ineffective.  
There are three processes named eddie.  
    eddie-cli-elevated 
    eddie-tray  
    eddie-ui  

I can kill eddie-ui, but not even a sudo kill -9 will kill the others. Well, it does temporarily, but they come back in a few seconds.  

I can't start a new eddie session because it says "An instance of Eddie is alredy running."  
When this happens, all I can do is reboot.  

I'd like to be able to kill it and restart it so I can keep working without rebooting.  

The elevated process should probably be stopped or killed with systemctl instead (note the #; it means privileges):

# systemctl stop eddie-elevated.service
# systemctl kill eddie-elevated.service

UI and tray are started unprivileged, so the pkill from above should work.

In any case, I'm far more interested in why you have to kill it in the first place. Are you sure it's completely unresponsive, or simply an instace of what you referred to in your OP:If the latter, there is a workaround. Or do you mean to say that you can't even click the tray icon to show the window again? That'd be worse.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

3 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Or do you mean to say that you can't even click the tray icon to show the window again? That'd be worse.

When Eddie is behaving badly for me, the tray icon is still there and I can click its various functions, but Eddie doesn't respond.  

16 hours ago, dalesd said:

When Eddie is behaving badly for me, the tray icon is still there and I can click its various functions, but Eddie doesn't respond.  

Huh. Then it's different, I guess, and also the first time I hear of such a thing. Try a ticket with professional support.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.