Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.175.7
SES IT

Airvpn speed test stuck on bot check

Posted ... (edited)

I plan to change from a different vpn to airvpn, but cannot find a good speed test.
Normally I use speedtest.net.  That works with my current vpn provider, and people seem to say it is the most accurate one.
When I connect by airvpn using wireguard on openwrt, speedtest is stuck on this bot check:

"Are you human?
Please complete the security check to access Speedtest.net
Please stand by, while we are checking your browser..."

I have tried other speed tests, but they all give similarly low readings with airvpn or my current vpn.
Has anyone else had this issue?  Has anyone solved this issue?

Thank for any help you can suggest.

Edited ... by SES IT

Wireguard operates over a UDP transport link to the server, but speedtests often use TCP.  The packet-by-packet ACK behavior of TCP means that distance to the speedtest server can limit reported speeds and make them quite misleading re actual obtainable UDP performance. So to get a proper UDP speedtest, I use testmy.net.

You should instead test real-life usage: Torrent a Linux ISO, download some game from Steam, upload a 1 GiB ZIP file somewhere, etcetc, and take note of the throughputs. Test various servers, ports and protocols.
If you absolutely have to or really want to use something like a speed test, eliminate as many middlemen as possible: If you use speedtest-cli for example, you eliminate possible server-side and client-side things like PHP and JavaScript. any GUIs of your OS and probably a good portion of API/system calls.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.