Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.136.235
John Gow

Linux Mint 21.1 Vera - Eddie 2.22.2 (Exp) Crashes, frozen GUI, latency issues

Hello again guys, 

This is sort of a two-topic post, but mainly I'm concerned about Eddie not working right. Other than some usual concerns about the very high latencies on Western US/Can servers, Eddie has suddenly been giving me bigger issues. This might be tied to a recent bind9 update, or part of a host of OS updates I made over the past week, but I can't know this for sure. I've been using 2.22.2 Exp client since its release without any issue until recently.

Eddie has been freezing at random times, disconnecting and reconnecting frequently to what seems to be random servers, freezing when I change servers, etc. I have had to manually kill openvpn and eddie processes in order to run it again. I returned to my machine to see a "Eddie has recovered from Fatal error! [Some error text] Please notify developers!" sent repeatedly as Eddie tried to reconnect to a server.  I failed to screencap this, sorry, and can't seem to find a crash log anywhere with greps, and it's not in my crash logs.

I've also noticed that Vancouver and West Coast servers get so full that they often drop me. I have almost abandoned Vancouver, my fastest connection, but the California connections are now frequently >50% full too, and will weight balance me off to another server. This might be a totally different issue but it's still very concerning.

Here's an update with some logs.
It disconnected suddenly with "Unexpected status." I failed to mention that it now also takes a lot longer (10-20+ seconds) than normal to connect and to disconnect from a server. When I disconnect, it will sometimes cause it to hang.

I've attached the mono crash blobs if this helps...

mono_crash.mem.105545.1.blob mono_crash.mem.105545.7fd5c8a10640.blob

Eddie_20230131_143637-unexpectedstatus.txt

Possible workarounds until Eddie gets updated include:
Using the Hummingbird binary with Eddie.  The issue with Hummingbird is that you will need the previous release, 1.2.0.  Hummingbird version 1.2.1 won't work with the latest Eddie; it's a known issue.  (If you can't find a link to 1.2.0, ask staff for help.)
The other option is to use the latest Hummingbird (1.2.1) binary by itself with generated config files. But, then you lose GUI access to server availability, latency, and ping.

One of the possible issues facing Eddie development on Linux is the Mono Project itself.  There's nothing released specifically for Ubuntu 22.x or Debian 11, which affects Mint and quite a few other popular distros.

4 hours ago, monstrocity said:

Possible workarounds until Eddie gets updated include:
Using the Hummingbird binary with Eddie.  The issue with Hummingbird is that you will need the previous release, 1.2.0.  Hummingbird version 1.2.1 won't work with the latest Eddie; it's a known issue.  (If you can't find a link to 1.2.0, ask staff for help.)
The other option is to use the latest Hummingbird (1.2.1) binary by itself with generated config files. But, then you lose GUI access to server availability, latency, and ping.

One of the possible issues facing Eddie development on Linux is the Mono Project itself.  There's nothing released specifically for Ubuntu 22.x or Debian 11, which affects Mint and quite a few other popular distros.

Oof. Thank you for letting me know.  I like Eddie because for the past 5+ years that I've been an airvpn user, it's worked almost flawlessly.  I'll play around with Hummingbird when I have some time to. Thank you!

On 2/1/2023 at 7:25 AM, monstrocity said:

(If you can't find a link to 1.2.0, ask staff for help.)

I'm not Staff, but link. @John Gow

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

😫

Thank you... I appear to be having a cascading crisis of connectivity... I'm on Windows now.
Internet service has been shaky, my Linux install no longer recognizes the wifi card. Connectivity on my phone appears to be fine through wifi...
No idea what's happening. The problems noted in OP were occurring for weeks before all this though. I think multiple bad things are happening, which will make it harder to fix anything.
Thank you for your help, I'll try hummingbird when I can get stable connection again.