Not connected, Your IP: 44.202.209.105
blank90

Concerns re: association with bad actors

Posted ... (edited)

I've noticed on a number of sites when I'm using a AirVPN it says I am blocked for malicious activity.

Therefore, I have to disconnect from the AirVPN server to access the site.

Here's an example:

Bot Protection Firewall
Blocked because of Malicious Activities
Reference ID: 170175499663c0c651a5691

Happens on Google, various PubMed papers, a financial site, and probably others.

I've never used AirVPN for anything remotely malicious, but of course when I'm using one of the IPs I have no clue what someone else did when working with the same IP.

I suppose there's no way to stop people from doing malicious things when using these public VPNs, which creates problems for others using the same IPs, who then get flagged.

Personally, I don't like being associated with an IP where I have no clue what others have done with the same IP address.

Is this not not a privacy hazard when that IP gets attached to my unique browser footprints etc, and I can be associated with someone who did something malicious with the same IP address?

I've since stopped accessing sites like eBay and PayPal when logged into AirVPN to avoid any problematic associations with bad actors.

Edited ... by blank90

10 hours ago, blank90 said:

Is this not not a privacy hazard when that IP gets attached to my unique browser footprints etc, and I can be associated with someone who did something malicious with the same IP address?

I don't think it's going that far, otherwise you yourself wouldn't be blocked. The blocks are purely IP-based.

In any case, there are other discussions going about this, please consult them and post there if applicable to not begin yet another thread.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thank you. My concern came because out of nowhere I had "permanently suspended" an eBay account I haven't used in over 2 years. I am sure it is because the account had no activity and I made it and logged in it once or twice using a VPN IP connected to someone else who had their account permanently suspended. The eBay account I actually use works perfectly fine, presumably because they know through my order history I'm a normal customer and not a malicious actor.

I am tempted to contact eBay about the permanently suspended account, but at the same time I never used that account and have no need for it, and as I say the account I use works perfectly fine. Just don't like waking up one day and seeing I've had an account permanently suspended.

The e-mail stated, among other things:

We wanted to let you know that your eBay account has been permanently suspended because of activity that we believe was putting the eBay community at risk. We understand that this must be frustrating, but this decision was not made lightly and it’s important that we keep our marketplace safe for everyone. We understand that this must be frustrating, but this decision was not made lightly and it’s important that we keep our marketplace safe for everyone.