Not connected, Your IP: 18.227.161.132
hydrotux

A strange tye of slowness

Hi,
I have a pfSense setup that has a virtual LAN (VL20) that is setup so as to direct all traffic via AirVPN UK servers (all currently online and not reporting any issues). Another virtual LAN (VL30) is going through my ISP (no AirVPN). Today, all traffic through VL20 started going really slow, sometimes halting. Fast.com reports problems sometime, others measuring speeds of 80kbs. No issues at all when traffic goes through VL30. This is clearly suggesting that there must be some problem through the AirVPN gateway on pfsense but I can't work out what how to diagnose this. I've noticed that pfsense seems to be blocking all outgoing traffic to addresses TCP:S on port 443. This a bit strange. I did nothing to alter settings anywhere. Has something changed on the config of the AirVPN servers? Any other thoughts?

What's even more strange is that I can navigate the Guardian and other UK websites from my VL20 network but other website that are not uk base (ipleak.net; google.com) fails to connect. This is really strange ....

UPDATE: This morning I woke up and all seems to be working fine. Its really strange as I've done nothing to fix the problme.

Yesterday, fast.com was indicating 50MBit when tested through VL30 and zero or occasionally a few Kbs when tested through VL20

This morning, I'm getting 50MBit through VL30 and 35 MBits through VL20 which is pretty good considering I'm going through the AirVPN servers. This is what I normally get.

This clearly rules out that there have been changes to the AirVPN server configurations. It hasn't explained was what the problem though. It would be good to hear from someone with a bit of experience how I should diagnose such problems when they reoccur in the future.

10 hours ago, hydrotux said:

It would be good to hear from someone with a bit of experience how I should diagnose such problems when they reoccur in the future.

Change to a server outside UK from a different data center like Mesarthim (DE, it's the only one from Contabo in the server fleet). If there is a problem as well, AirVPN is unlikely the problem. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

1 hour ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Change to a server outside UK from a different data center like Mesarthim (DE, it's the only one from Contabo in the server fleet). If there is a problem as well, AirVPN is unlikely the problem. :)

Ok, I'll set up another OpenVPN connection to Mesarthium that I'll use as a dignosis server. Thanks