Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.48.47
Sign in to follow this  
spinmaster

DNS error for ch3.vpn.airdns.org

I have a config file for each region to select the best server from that part of the world (Earth, Europe, US, Germany, Switzerland, etc.) I noticed a few days ago that for the Swiss region, the DNS cannot be resolved any longer:

spinmaster@MacBook AirVPN % sudo ./hummingbird AirVPN_Switzerland_UDP-443-Entry3.ovpn
(…)
Mon Jul 18 18:59:59.052 2022 Network filter and lock successfully activated
Mon Jul 18 18:59:59.053 2022 ERROR: RESOLVE_ERROR
Mon Jul 18 18:59:59.053 2022 Transport Error: DNS resolve error on 'ch3.vpn.airdns.org' for UDP session: Host not found (authoritative)
Mon Jul 18 18:59:59.053 2022 Client terminated, restarting in 2000 ms...
(…)
Did something change in the DNS for the Switzerland servers? If yes, how can users keep track of that? I haven’t seen any related annoucements...

Thanks @batou8 for checking. I just tried different DNS servers (I was using a censor free DNS in my router and have now checked with my Provider DNS) - but same result. So I am ruling my local DNS provider out...

If it's DNS cache related: any way of clearing or resetting this? I am just using Hummingbird with all of the deault settings and flags - nothing special. It works for all other countries, so it's weird that it does not work exclusively for the Switzerland region.

Thanks for helping out! OK, tried some things, very interesting: It looks like I can resolve the host on my Mac by using the Provider DNS:

spinmaster@MacBook ~ % dig ch3.vpn.airdns.org

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> ch3.vpn.airdns.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 19072
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ch3.vpn.airdns.org.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ch3.vpn.airdns.org.	184	IN	A	79.142.69.162

;; Query time: 13 msec
;; SERVER: 172.30.11.1#53(172.30.11.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Jul 21 19:08:20 CEST 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 63
I then tried clearing the DNS cache (as described on the website you mentioned):
spinmaster@MacBook ~ % sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
However, I still cannot connect via Hummingbird - getting the same error from my initial post. I assume it must be something with Hummingbird maybe, but I'm not sure how to further debug this...

Very weird!

P.S. Re-Created the Config-Files (tested with UDP and TCP) for Switzerland, but no luck either.