Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.157.186
Mount Meru

Connection problems with the DreamHost provider

Dear AirVPN Administrators,

[I have consulted the pinned sub-topic]

I have a very frustrating problem that has recently arisen, for the first time, since I started with AirVPN, in connecting to my domains hosted by DreamHost, in that I cannot connect to them.

The server in question: breakside.dreamhost.com (75.119.200.120)

This is an example of a domain that I cannot connect to:

https://mt-meru.space

https://airvpn.org/routes/?q=mt-meru.space

Whilst the results look good from that route check, none the less, on my machine that domain remains inaccessible. 

On my machine, I've flushed the DNS, and checked the Hosts file, and Firewall, for any possible issues - all to no avail. 

I can successfully connect to all of my domains hosted on the Breakside Server, once AirVPN is no longer being used.

I have also initiated a support ticket with DreamHost technical support.

The networking technicalities of what might be going on, are well beyond my paygrade.

Any assistance most gratefully apprised.

Thank you for your attention. 

I have been in contact with the DreamHost support, and they checked out the exit node I was using at the time of initiating a support request, which was (Nahn, Canada), and there was an IP ban on their server (Breakside).

That ban was lifted, and I had full access to the Breakside server, via that exit node (Nahn).

Having tried several exit nodes, all with the same problem, subsequent to Nahn getting fixed, I tested another exit node: (Luyten, Singapore) - which had the same problem of access being blocked.

I've lotted a support request at DreamHost for that exit node, as well.

However, given that I've noticed this problem across multiple exit nodes (more than just Nahn & Luyten), I fear that it's a global problem affecting all AirVPN exit nodes, in relation to the DreamHost security systems.

Thus I do think that the AirVPN system administrators need to confer with the peers amongst the DreamHost system administrators, to sort this problem out on a global exit node scale, and to see whether a permanent solution can be found!

In the meantime I'll eke out existence on Nahn, and also Luyten, when it is fixed. :-)

Best regards,

Does there exist a current, kept up to date, list of the IP addresses of all the exit nodes that I could give to the DreamHost sysadmins? - Thank you.

Seems like all the most if not all Netherlands are also blocked by DreamHost as I have been unable to access a site hosted by them on any of the Netherlands servers I tried. but it did work on the canada server the original poster said DreamHost lifted the ban for.

The site I couldn't access was https://www.ff2ebook.com/

Dear AirVPN Administrators | AirVPN Forum Moderators,

The Canadian (CAN) exit node Nahn, and the Singaporean (SGP) exit node Luyten, have been unblocked by the DreamHost admins, at my request, upon discovery that they were blocked.

RYFA has kindly confirmed that many, if not all, of the Netherlands (NLD) exit nodes are blocked.

It would be prudent, and not unreasonable to conclude that *ALL* of the AirVPN exit nodes are blocked on *ALL* their servers, and consequently, the least painful and most efficient path for correction is that the AirVPN administrators make direct contact with the DreamHost adminsistrators, by whatever channels network gods converse with each other, to request that they lift all exit node bans, and ensure that it cannot happen again.

Alternatively, is there a kept up-to-date list of AirVPN exit node IP addresses that I can add to a support ticket at DreamHost?

Some positive and pro-active response from either the AirVPN administrators or the AirVPM forum moderators would be very much appreciated!

msdf

Card carry and committed, since 2016.

Update: Nahn (CAN) and Luyten (SGP) are now blocked again - so this is a recurring problem, that no doubt affects all AirVPN exit nodes.

The AirVPN administrators need to directly contact the DreamHost administrators to sort out a permanent solution.

Thank you,.

This is a response from DreamHost customer support:

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to us here at DreamHost Support.

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with the AirVPN IPs, I'll be happy to assist.

Upon checking on the IPs, effectively our system blocked them because of appearing on the report of blocklists our system reads to check if any IP has been reported as potentially flagged for spam. I went ahead and
lifted the bans those IPs have on our system, but unfortunately, we cannot allow an IP or whitelist it since the firewall system blocks when reported on the list. You can see the list in this link:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/firehol/blocklist-ipsets/master/blocklist_net_ua.ipset

The issue would be on the AirVPN side since the IPs are theirs. The IP would be needed to be clear of any flags or reports to blocklists and the system would not recognize the IP as a threat. However, if it still happens, you can let us know to remove the block from our end.

Hope this information helps, feel free to reply or open a new chat window should you need help with this or other issues, we'll be ready to assist!

Best regards,

DreamHost Support.

Clearly, there are bad actors using AirVPN, and clearly, DreamHost blocking AirVPN exit nodes can only corrected through dialogue between the AirVPN and DreamHost system administrators. And, clearly, DreamHost might not be the only WebHost blocking AirVPN...

Could the forum moderators, that approve each post in this topic, please bring this topic to the attention of the AirVPN administrators.

Thank you.

Could you please drop all formality as if you're writing mail? :D These are forums, we can "talk" here. :)

There is a community tool for compiling remote-random directives using IP addresses, sadly it's not suitable for your needs as you need the exit IPs. You can still try and compile something manually or semi-automatically querying DNS. Use queries of the form servername_exit.airservers.org for this.

$ dig +short a in alkes_exit.airservers.org

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hi - I think I'm experiencing the same problem, with DreamHost domains being unreachable from AirVPN exit nodes.

Can I ask for a solution here, or do I need to raise it somewhere else?

Continuing from:

12 hours ago, Chris Howards said:

Can I ask for a solution here, or do I need to raise it somewhere else?

There are no real countermeasures to deploy if the blocks are based on IP addresses on ISP-level. Exit IPs don't change at all.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.