Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.16.184
silph

Suggestion: Remove CTRL + A to open about menu in Eddie

Hi,

I believe that CTRL + A should be removed as a shortcut to the about menu in Eddie.

Usually CTRL + A selects all text in a field, and when logging in I occasionally mistype my password, and then when I CTRL + A to select the whole password box it brings up the about menu. Is there any chance that you could look into changing this behavior?

Thanks

Confirmed, looks like a bug.

I was feeling quite adventurous and got to digging: The key combos are in L487 of Main.cs. I added two exceptions for these fields in the shortcut definition of CTRL+A. This is the resulting patch:

From 5fc7a8c1e8645caa9405523e47601280b556104b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 19:23:19 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Fix global override of CTRL-A text field shortcut

---
 src/Lib.Forms/Forms/Main.cs | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/src/Lib.Forms/Forms/Main.cs b/src/Lib.Forms/Forms/Main.cs
index c06be67..c1b2451 100644
--- a/src/Lib.Forms/Forms/Main.cs
+++ b/src/Lib.Forms/Forms/Main.cs
@@ -493,7 +493,7 @@ namespace Eddie.Forms.Forms
                 OnShowMenu();
             }

-            if (e.Control && e.KeyCode == Keys.A)
+            if ((e.Control && e.KeyCode == Keys.A) && !(txtLogin.ContainsFocus ^ txtPassword.ContainsFocus))
             {
                 OnShowAbout();
             }
@@ -2503,4 +2503,4 @@ namespace Eddie.Forms.Forms
             Engine.Instance.NetLockOut();
         }
     }
-}
\ No newline at end of file
+}
--

I don't know much about C#, so maybe there's a more clever way of solving this (e.g., make text fields have a higher "priority" when they get focus or something) but this hotfix does its job. You can apply this patch quite easily if you're on Linux; but I'm guessing you're not. Still, could be interesting for others.

Here's a funny story: I needed more than an hour to come up with this. Seriously. I took the eddie-ui-git PKGBUILD, added the patch file and simply rebuilt the package. My idea was to simply edit the patch file if I did any mistake, and I did one or two. So I started rebuilding it over and over again with different solutions because it somehow still didn't work, rebuilt it like 20 times or so. Maybe I did something wrong with negation? Maybe && instead of &? My mood seriously began to turn towards the end – am I really unable to write the simplest logical operations?
Turns out, I was probably doing it right all this time. After more than a hour of experimenting and reading the C# reference I noticed I was editing the source file – which got overridden everytime I built the package with makepkg (auto-applies the patch file still containing the not working evaluation from my first or second try or so).

One line of code, one hour of "work". But now I know more about C# than I ever wanted, really. :D

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.