Not connected, Your IP: 52.15.112.69
d3adf1sh

weird eddie bug when using start menu to access eddit client if already running win10

so basically eddie was already running, but for whatever reason instead of clicking on the taskbar icon, i used the start menu to access and then it acted like it was restarting, brought up the splash screen, then hung at "connecting with daemon for system privleges" and as we speak is still sitting there with that message. so i'm gonna go into task manager and end task and everything is fine.  just thought that it would just send me to the eddie "home page" instead of trying to start a whole new instance of eddie. 

i think i was bringing up eddie so i could switch servers, but figured you guys (staff) might have want to know that this is what happens.  no big deal, just a quirk.

I am having a very similar issue recently. "Single Instance" is enabled. Eddie is running and I have connected to a server.

Trigger of the problem: I click on the Eddie taskbar pin to bring the UI to the front.

Result: the UI disappears and Eddie tries launching again. At "connecting with daemon for system privileges"  Windows (Defender?) asks whether to extend privileges to Eddie. If I say yes, I get the same one more time, then I get an error. The VPN connection is still running, but I no longer have access to the settings (including disconnecting it). If I log onto AirVPN Website and try to disconnect from there, it fails. I have to go end the Eddie process in the Task Manager, then go into my network settings, change from manual (previously set by AirVPN)  to automatic DHCP and restart the computer. Only then will my regular (non-VPN) internet connection function again.

Don't understand the criticism from OpenSourcerer. Please explain. I'm supporting d3adf1sh's request by adding my (imho relevant) data, which to me seems almost identical. Since d3adf1sh evidently hasn't received any help from the forum so far, I felt I was being helpful by refreshing their request/observation. I don't feel my (very similar) bug requires/deserves another thread. Seeing as it's also a quirk I can get around. What am I doing wrong posting here? Would genuinely like to know (since you're a moderator).

Workaround (in my case... again, maybe relevant to d3adf1sh or anyone looking into this): Clicking on the already open window miniature that pops up when hovering over the taskbar icon correctly opens the running application rather than trying to start another instance, which, I'm guessing, is happening in both our cases despite the relevant option being unchecked.

10 hours ago, platypus67 said:

Please explain.

It's called hijacking:
OP has one specific system, a Windows, Eddie v2.20.0, config tokens A, B, C set to 1, 2, 3.
Person 2 has another system: A Linux, Eddie 2.21.5 beta, config tokens A, C unset and B, D, E, F, G set to 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
By definition, these setups are not the same, and so the issue, though similar on the outward, might stem from two different causes that happen to show the same symptom. Inevitably leads to confusion at some point if it turns out the Linux user's issue is trickier to troubleshoot, so the thread fills with a conversation between helpers and this second Linux person, discussing Linux commands to try out, something the Windows person cannot follow, and he/she is the original poster. The thread effectively loses value for the original poster, and it was him/her who actually wanted help from the community, with his/her personal issue.
This is why separate threads are better. If it turns out it really comes from the same piece of code or something and all users are affected, these threads will get merged into a one with a possible workaround and later solution being highlighted for all to see. :)

10 hours ago, platypus67 said:

Workaround (in my case... again, maybe relevant to d3adf1sh or anyone looking into this): Clicking on the already open window miniature that pops up when hovering over the taskbar icon correctly opens the running application rather than trying to start another instance, which, I'm guessing, is happening in both our cases despite the relevant option being unchecked.

This addition, on the other hand, would have been a wonderful one, which unfortunately was missing in your first post in this thread: A workaround that, and I fully agree, might be relevant to anyone looking into a similar issue -> it tries to add value to the thread (something a plain "same issue" post can never do because it only adds one more puzzle piece without answering questions).

And you're not doing anything wrong. It's just me trying to organize the troubleshooting effort, with experiences from the last years.

Anyone suffering from this should try out the latest Beta/Experimental release. Some changes in this regard around 2.21 according to the changelog. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 4/26/2022 at 7:10 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

It's called hijacking:
OP has one specific system, a Windows, Eddie v2.20.0, config tokens A, B, C set to 1, 2, 3.
Person 2 has another system: A Linux, Eddie 2.21.5 beta, config tokens A, C unset and B, D, E, F, G set to 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Thank you for explaining (but we're both running Windows 10?)! I apologize if I caused confusion. I'll try to be more careful in future. I only figured out my workaround later, by accident. Cheers!

9 hours ago, platypus67 said:

but we're both running Windows 10?)

It's not only about the OS, it's the configuration of the system and apps, too.

9 hours ago, platypus67 said:

I apologize if I caused confusion. I'll try to be more careful in future.

You didn't to anything wrong, as written. Simply open your own threads, they cost nothing. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.