Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.12.172
Aronos

Issue with Eddie android app and mobile hotspot

I work overnights at a hospital and I bring my xbox in. I usually have to just hotspot to my phone, because the hospital wifi blocks the ports needed for xbox live to function.

On my Windows Surface when I'm connected to the hospital wifi without Eddie running, I can't connect to xbox live chats but with the VPN turned on, I can. I figured if I connected my phone to the hospital wifi, ran the Eddie VPN client on my phone and run my hotspot, it would get around the hospital network restriction on my xbox. However, the Eddie Android client doesn't seem to work the same way and I'm not sure why.

Is there some sort of setting I need to change within the app for it to work as expected? I'm trying to get this to work so I can just hotspot an old second phone on the wifi so I don't have to reconnect to my actual phone's hotspot whenever I gotta run off to do something for a bit.

Edit - I can run Eddie on my Surface while my surface is connected to wifi and then hotspot my xbox through my surface and it works as expected. Something with the android app makes me feel as if it is not properly tunneling everything due to the issue mentioned above.

4 hours ago, Aronos said:

However, the Eddie Android client doesn't seem to work the same way and I'm not sure why.

It's got nothing to do with any VPN app, it's a restriction of Android.

4 hours ago, Aronos said:

Is there some sort of setting I need to change within the app for it to work as expected?

Starting with Android 10 I think you can enable an option to allow clients connected to your phone to use an existing VPN connection. As always, the availability and then the location of that option heavily depends on the ROM you're running. I've seen this option in LineageOS 17 in Connections > Hotspot and Tethering > Allow clients to use VPN. I have not seen it in Xiaomi MIUI or Samsung OneUI. See if you can find it somewhere in the Connections section of the settings. In extreme cases it's in the Developer Options.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

16 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

It's got nothing to do with any VPN app, it's a restriction of Android.

Starting with Android 10 I think you can enable an option to allow clients connected to your phone to use an existing VPN connection. As always, the availability and then the location of that option heavily depends on the ROM you're running. I've seen this option in LineageOS 17 in Connections > Hotspot and Tethering > Allow clients to use VPN. I have not seen it in Xiaomi MIUI or Samsung OneUI. See if you can find it somewhere in the Connections section of the settings. In extreme cases it's in the Developer Options.

Hey OpenSourcerer, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info, I'll give it a shot.