Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.100.120
killersdontdie665

ANSWERED Peer IP addresses showing in NETSTAT dispite being connected to VPN

Any advice greatly appreciated on this subject as i am not of a high level of understanding when it comes to networking in Linux iptables! 

When connected to a vpn server through Eddie on a Ubuntu based Linux OS i always use the network lock feature in Eddie. This should lock the Linux iptables to stop any traffic outside the vpn tunnel. 

When i use any IP check service, or torrent address checker, (e.g ipleak.net) they always come back with no leaks. 

However, whilst torrenting, if i use the NETSTAT command in the terminal, i can see established connections to IP addresses matching the IP's of peers I'm connected to in my torrent client! 

I thought that the only ip i should see in netstat should be the VPN server NOT the peers as i shouldn't be connected to them directly? Am i leaking my IP outside the tunnel or should i expect to see bittorrent peer ip addresses in netstat when using the vpn? 

Thank you! 

18 hours ago, killersdontdie665 said:

However, whilst torrenting, if i use the NETSTAT command in the terminal, i can see established connections to IP addresses matching the IP's of peers I'm connected to in my torrent client! 

I thought that the only ip i should see in netstat should be the VPN server NOT the peers as i shouldn't be connected to them directly? Am i leaking my IP outside the tunnel or should i expect to see bittorrent peer ip addresses in netstat when using the vpn? 

Your torrent client, and anything else on your PC, creates connections via the AirVPN server, not with it.
If you use a browser to browse to duckduckgo.com or so while connected, the browser is connecting to the website, because ultimately it's the browser that wants to download DuckDuckGo's front page, not the AirVPN server. The IP DuckDuckGo will see connecting will be that of the AirVPN server, though.
Same with torrent peers: It's your torrent client wanting to download pieces from others, so the client will establish the connections. Peers will see the AirVPN server exit IP, though, because those connections were made via the AirVPN server.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.