Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.190.167
tammo

Config Generator - "Connect with IP Layer", what does it mean?

Hello,

if I config my openVPN config-files, I can choose under "Connect with IP Layer" IPv4 or IPv6. I have Dual Stack, so I have selected "IP Layer Exit" -> "Both".
Does it mean how to preferentially connect? What should i choose?

Okay, I think I have the answer: When I select Dual Stack in my router, I have to decide if "Native IPv4" or "Native IPv6". I think that must match with the selection "Connect with IP Layer". Correct?

3 hours ago, tammo said:

"Connect with IP Layer" IPv4 or IPv6.

This option controls whether you connect to an AirVPN server using IPv4 or IPv6.

3 hours ago, tammo said:

"IP Layer Exit" -> "Both"

This option controls whether you want to route v4 only, v6 only or both v4 and v6 through the VPN.

2 hours ago, tammo said:
When I select Dual Stack in my router, I have to decide if "Native IPv4" or "Native IPv6". I think that must match with the selection "Connect with IP Layer".

Definition of Dual Stack is not "v4 or v6" but "v4 and v6 at the same time". I'd leave both enabled, but some people might object and say "but you can be tracked with v6 on". As if they can't be tracked with v4. :)
It doesn't need to match, though, it just needs to be enabled for systems to be able to use them. Meaning, if there is no IPv6 connectivity in your router, you'll have a hard time connecting to AirVPN using IPv6.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

So I could choose for example "Connect with IP Layer" IPv4 in the Config Generator and choose in Router Dualstack with "native IPv6"?

Could you make a recommendation as to which combination is best to use?

In the past, when I already had dual stack, I had completely deactivated IPv6 all the time.

At the moment I have connect with IP Layer IPv4 and in the router Dual Stack with Native IPv4.

But since IPv6 is actually the future, would it be better if I would connect with IP Layer IPv6 and use Dual Stack with Native IPv6 in the router?

1 hour ago, tammo said:
Could you make a recommendation as to which combination is best to use?

Well, define "best". It's down to people's preference. I'd enable v4 and v6 both on router and in Eddie and prefer v6 wherever possible, others get spooked everytime they get a v6 address assigned, see below. :)

1 hour ago, tammo said:
In the past, when I already had dual stack, I had completely deactivated IPv6 all the time.

This is one of the things you see people telling you all the time, and when asked, the primary, sometimes the only reason, is the possibility for IPv6 addresses to be assigned using the unique hardware address of an interface, which represents the wet dream of a tracking service, if I may write it like that. It needs to be mentioned, though, that no hardware for the private sector does that by default these days. Heck, newer versions of iOS and Android even randomize that hardware address by default.

1 hour ago, tammo said:
But since IPv6 is actually the future, would it be better if I would connect with IP Layer IPv6 and use Dual Stack with Native IPv6 in the router?

Thank you for seeing it this way. IPv6 itself grew out of puberty a long, long time ago, so I don't see the reason to shut it out, even in a VPN context. If we shut out v6 now (so people don't use it, get spooked about trifles, etcetc) and not think about how to make it more friendly for paranoids, v4 will never die. And v4 needs to die. We're still coming up with ridiculous ways of keeping a protocol alive and make it so it fits today's web of devices in one space, blatantly ignoring the simple fact it will never fit today's global web of devices in one space. It's like keeping CRT displays alive, for freakin' what? Buy a flatscreen, you'll get thrice your money's worth today.
Would it be better? Well, for whom? For you there's no real difference between v4 and v6, both work. But for those building networks out there v4 vs v6 is like CRT vs. flatscreen, and you don't hear them asking the market for CRTs. :D

On a side note, people constantly get angry at carriers for using Carrier-Grade NAT or Dual-Stack lite on their networks to provide v4 connectivity but very rarely ask themselves why tf this is the case…

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.