Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.202.224
Jamertol

Bypassing the VPN on Android but only when connected to a particular Wifi network

Hi

I know this is more a general OpenVPN question than a question for Eddie, but I hope some of the knowledgeable people here may be able to answer. Thank you in advance.

I have a home server running several services in my local network. Some of them are accessible from the internet, (through a reverse proxy in the local network) and they have their own domain, for example nextcloud.example.com. I have an override in my LAN DNS server, so when a computer in the local network tries to connect to nextcloud.example.com, it receives the internal LAN IP of the reverse proxy, instead of the Internet IP of the domain.

But my Android phone has an always on VPN connection, so it bypasses my LAN DNS server. What I would like is for the Eddie for Android/OpenVPN (or any Android VPN client) in my Android phone to not route certain domains through the VPN but only when the phone is connected to my home Wifi. Basically, when the phone is connected to my home Wifi, I want the VPN Client to not route through the VPN the connection to a list of domains so the connection is local, but act normally, ignore the list and route everything through the VPN when not connected to that particular Wifi network.

Is this even possible to do with Eddie for Android/OpenVPN (or other VPN software for Android)? If yes, an explanation of how or link to some releveant docs would be appreciated. If not, is there a better way to organize this set up? I imagine I am not the first person to run into this issue, so there has to be a common solution.

It's not possible in any app I know of, but then again, I'm not a library. :)

1 hour ago, Jamertol said:

If not, is there a better way to organize this set up?

Everytime you add a new wireless network, configure it with static DNS servers: Those of AirVPN. DNS would only work if connected that way. At home, point them at your own DNS server, also statically. In the apps, exclude local networks from routing.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.