Not connected, Your IP: 3.14.246.254
Luftikus

Eddie 2.20 on Arch Linux: "OpenVPN is already running"

For months Eddie didn't work on Arch Linux when using the desktop environment KDE because the UI was completely broken. This has thankfully changed with recent updates. However, I am facing a different problem now. When I click on "connect to a recommended server" Eddie returns the following error message:

OpenVPN is already running (/usr/bin/openvpn---reneg-sec-0---mute-replay-warnings---auth-nocache---setenv-VPN_PROV-airvpn---setenv-VPN_CLIENT-openvpn---setenv-DEBUG-false---setenv-VPN_DEVICE_TYPE-tun0---setenv-VPN_ENABLED-yes---setenv-VPN_REMOTE_SERVER-nl.vpn.airdns.org---setenv-APPLICATION-xxx---script-security-2---writepid-/root/openvpn.pid---remap-usr1-SIGHUP---log-append-/dev/stdout---pull-filter-ignore-up---pull-filter-ignore-down---pull-filter-ignore-route-ipv6---pull-filter-ignore-ifconfig-ipv6---pull-filter-ignore-tun-ipv6---pull-filter-ignore-dhcp-option DNS6---pull-filter-ignore-persist-tun---pull-filter-ignore-reneg-sec---up-/root/openvpnup.sh---up-delay---up-restart---keepalive-10-60---cd-/config/openvpn---config-/config/openvpn/AirVPN_Netherlands_UDP-443.ovpn---remote-213.xxx.xxx.xxx-443-udp---remote-random-).

So it turns out Eddie is complaining about a docker container that is running in parallel and connected to the NL server mentioned. I don't understand how Eddie can detect the docker container as it is akin to a VM and what happens inside should be invisible to Eddie. Secondly, I thought you could have five connections at the same time, so I don't get why there is an error message in the first place. Months ago, before an update broke the UI, I had the same setup, but this problem did not occur. FYI, when I turn off the docker container, Eddie will connect just fine.

I turn to you wise men for advice. Thanks.

Are you using a different key in Eddie? You can connect five times to the same server with the same connection parameters but this is only possible if you connect with five different keys.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

The app running inside the container uses a .ovpn file I generated on the Air website. It contains a key. As for Eddie, I just entered my username and password, so I don't know what it does in the background as far as keys are concerned. Does this narrow it down?

Maybe on a related note, when I stopped the container and connected with Eddie the following line was saved in the log file
W 2021.03.21 10:18:58 - OpenVPN > WARNING: Using --management on a TCP port WITHOUT passwords is STRONGLY discouraged and considered insecure

What is this about?

5 hours ago, Luftikus said:

As for Eddie, I just entered my username and password, so I don't know what it does in the background as far as keys are concerned.

It uses the key you select, and it's not a background setting, it's on the first window you see when you open Eddie.

5 hours ago, Luftikus said:

Maybe on a related note, when I stopped the container and connected with Eddie the following line was saved in the log file
W 2021.03.21 10:18:58 - OpenVPN > WARNING: Using --management on a TCP port WITHOUT passwords is STRONGLY discouraged and considered insecure

It concerns the Eddie <> OpenVPN communication, nothing related to your problem.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Of course, you were right with your diagnosis. I found the key in the second tab "servers" when you click on the three horizontal dots on the right. It is the same as the one used in the docker container. I did not find an option to pick and choose a key though. The first screenshot shows the overview tab, which is the first window I see when opening Eddie.

20 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

It uses the key you select, and it's not a background setting, it's on the first window you see when you open Eddie.

It concerns the Eddie <> OpenVPN communication, nothing related to your problem.

Should I fix it anyway? If so, how?

2021-03-22_17-44.png

2021-03-22_17-46.png