Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.142.134
the1lemming

How can I get my Synology NAS online?

I have a Synology NAS that normally hides inside my home network. However I now have a project where I want to share some large video files and I would like other people to see them from my NAS over the internet.
I also have a cable router connected to a DD-WRT router. The DD-WRT router is doing all the VPN encription duties and the cable router is just playing the role of modem.
Synology has a simple method where they give out free domain names and such like so that people can connect to my NAS with a web name. You can tell from my simplified description that this is all way out of my comfort zone.

Following the Synology tutorials and quick setup wizards the Synology software changed some settings and ports on my routers. This put my DD-WRT router out of action and I lost connection to the Internet.
Once I re-set the cable router back to factory settings then I was able to see the Synology NAS over the internet by using the free domain name service provided by Synology.

I have now managed to get my cable router back into modem mode, and my DD-WRTT router back into VPN mode.

Is there a way that I can safely set up my DD-WRT router so that I don't have to go through the Synology domain servers?
I'm guessing that ports will be involved somewhere.
Or is it safest to leave well alone and just tryst in the Synology domain servers to allow people to access my NAS?

Bit of a rambling question. I just want to reduce risk as much as possible while my NAS is accessible from the internet.

12 hours ago, the1lemming said:

Or is it safest to leave well alone and just tryst in the Synology domain servers to allow people to access my NAS?

Don't know about safest, but it's definitely the easiest. If you don't want to use them, you must forward a port on AirVPN, then forward this port to the NAS on the router.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:06 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

Don't know about safest, but it's definitely the easiest. If you don't want to use them, you must forward a port on AirVPN, then forward this port to the NAS on the router.
Thanks for the advice. All this is way out of my comfort zone but I'm willing to learn how to do this.

Cheers