Not connected, Your IP: 52.91.67.23
hydrotux

IPleak seeking AirVPN IP plus some random IPs ... how is this possible

Posted ... (edited)

Hi,
after a few weeks I decided to try ipleak.net just to make sure things are ticking along properly. To my surprise, and for the first time ever, I see the AirVPN IP plus another random IP that is sometimes in the states, other times in CIna, etc.
The random IP has nothing to do with my real IP. It doesn't resolve with a DNSlookup but the IP below says:

DoD Network Information Center
when you look it up on whois.com.

This is a bit strange. Was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar in the past with AipVPN.

UPDATE: Noticed that the behavior varies depending on whether I use Firefox or whether I use Chromium. When I go on on ipleak.net or dnsleaktest.com with Chromium, both show the expected IP and the DNS correctly (AirVPN IPs only). If I use Firefox (with all components de-activated), I end up with an extra DNS (Cloudflare IP 141.101.64.X). Not really want to trust Firefox anymore these days ....
Whichever browser I use to visit ifconfig.co, will show my actual ISP address. Is it possible that only ifconfig.co can see my real address? What is the point then to have a VPN is ifconfig.co can see my real IP?

ipleak.png.b69441966d63a988b607ea268256a759.png Edited ... by hydrotux
Update post

I think I may have answered my own question, or at least partially. It looks like I forgot the other night that I installed the Chameleon add-on for Firefox, which attempts to spoof my IP. Still doesn't explain why I see 2 IPs as my source IP (including one from AirVPN, which implies CHameleon is not doing its job properly) not why I see a Cloudflare IP in the extended DNS test when all add-ons are disabled. Any thoughts? DO you think its a good idea to use Chameleon when you are on a VPN?

3 minutes ago, hydrotux said:

Still doesn't explain why I see 2 IPs as my source IP (including one from AirVPN, which implies CHameleon is not doing its job properly)

No, Chameleon is doing exactly what it's supposed to do: Spoofing your IP address by injecting fake X-Forwarded-For headers.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.