Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.12.0
platzy398

Eddie-UI hanging during first boot on Windows 10

I have Eddie-UI running on two different Windows 10 PCs and experiencing issues with this hanging up on launch quite regularly or nearly every time when I boot my PC from cold. It gets stuck on 'Connect with Daemon for system privileges' and does not advance past that popup, the program is hung up. Manually forcing the program to end will stop it, however launching Eddie-UI afterwards causes the same issue. The only way I can resolve is by issuing a restart to the PC and it connects after the reboot every time. The problem is when I boot from having either PC off, nearly every time the client freezes at that step and have to reboot.

A week or so ago I enabled local logging with debug enabled in the Eddie-UI settings. This morning I booted my PC at 10:30am EST and Eddie-UI froze at that step again. I checked the logging and there are no entries for that time at all, nothing was written. When I reboot the logging starts from that point since it's able to connect. So nothing is being written to the Eddie-UI logging on that first boot from cold.

I've uninstalled Eddie-UI, downloaded the newest. If you ask for the current logs you will only see successful attempts, since nothing is being written to those logs when it hangs. This is happening on two different PCs, I imagine the same will happen on a third if I install it. 

Hoping to get some help on this one, it's super frustrating and reproduceable. Thanks.

When you shutdown Windows, you are not shutting it down at all, you are suspending it. It's called Fast Startup and is one of those Microsoft features, allegedly increasing comfort for users no matter the cost. When you reboot, Windows "properly" shuts down, then "properly" starts up. So, disable this crap:

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

This looks to have fixed the issue, thanks OpenSourcerer.

Not a comment to you but in regards to Eddie-UI, I've had this PC with Windows 10 running for quite a long time and have not run into a single program that required Windows 10 'Fast Startup' to be disabled in order for a Windows program to run properly. I understand it's a Windows feature introduced with Windows 10 but have not seen any other issues with my system related to it. I had Nord and also ExpressVPN prior to running AirVPN / Eddie and those never hung on restart. Just a point that it seems in all my years, only Eddie-UI has an issue with not starting properly due to the Windows feature being enabled. I've disabled it on all my PC's, checking articles online I am seeing the pros and cons of having it enabled or disabled, so at the very least running into this issue has forced me to learn more about a Windows setting I was never aware of.

1 hour ago, platzy398 said:

Just a point that it seems in all my years, only Eddie-UI has an issue with not starting properly due to the Windows feature being enabled. I've disabled it on all my PC's, checking articles online I am seeing the pros and cons of having it enabled or disabled, so at the very least running into this issue has forced me to learn more about a Windows setting I was never aware of.

You're welcome, and yes, it's certainly an exception when all the programs in the world adapted to Fast Startup being enabled by default by now. This feature is available since Windows 8. 2011/2012 somewhere, so there is no real excuse to not work with it, unless it's a deliberate design choice by Eddie devs and it impacts privacy or security in any way if Eddie is coded to work with it. I'm not a C# or even Windows expert to know the answer.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

It is a new function on Windows 10.

It starts this the last open Programs. AirVpn is connected  but no Icon aviable.

You can disable this function.

This is in german:

https://www.deskmodder.de/blog/2019/08/17/windows-10-20h1-automatische-programmstarts-und-meine-anmeldeinfos-wurden-nun-getrennt-in-den-einstellungen/

I hope i can help you.

Greetings from Germany! :)

Edited ... by Flatterviech