Not connected, Your IP: 35.172.194.25
Ninjakeks

Openvpn -> Airvpn possible?

Hi guys,

I have to use another openvpn tunnel to be able to connect to the internet first, but would like to able to also use airvpn.
I tried just using eddie on top of openvpn connect, but that just leads to no connection being made.
Is there some way to set up a multihop from a .ovpn file to airvpn servers?

Thanks!

It might be possible on PC with multiple tunnels/TAP adapters, but definitely not on Android, and most probably also not on iOS. OpenVPN Connect sounds like something for mobile, though; since you omitted that detail it's therefore difficult to tell yes or no.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Can you link to where you downloaded this, please?

On Windows something like this could work:

1. Install a second TAP adapter. There must be a .bat or .exe file in the program folder called addtap or something. Execute it.
  2. Determine the exact names/IDs of both TAP interfaces. You can use the command openvpn --show-adapters for this or look on the network adapter overview in Windows.
  3. In the config file for OpenVPN Connect, add the directive dev-node {ID} or dev-node "interface name" of one of the adapters. Ensure you don't forget the {} in case of the ID and the "" in case of the name.
  4. In Eddie > Preferences > OVPN directives, enter dev-node {ID} or dev-node "interface name" of the other adapter. Same as above with {} and "".
Now here is the tricky and more technical part. Depending on the settings of the OpenVPN connection you connect to the internet with the server might push a redirect-gateway def1 directive. This would conflict with AirVPN as the same directive is pushed here, leaving your routing table having two different destinations for the subnets 0.0.0.0/1 and 128.0.0.0/1, the only difference I hope being the metric. I think it's not a problem if the first connection replaces the default route instead (i.e., no redirect-gateway def1). You should look into the logs from the first connection, the PUSH_REPLY line is important here.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.