Not connected, Your IP: 44.220.131.93

Mac OS - I really don't want Eddie to prompt for my user password every time it runs because the network isn't locked until Eddie is running, leaving me exposed until i type my password.

I notice the newer version has a "Don't ask elevation every run" in the preferences UI. I don't know what this does. IN the past I was strongly advised against allowing auto login. Can I assume this is no longer the case, and I can now use that option? If so, GREAT!

On the main release thread for the beta version of Eddie, I noticed a staff member commented: "Correct, now UI is totally separated from an executable/daemon (launchd) that performs elevated actions.
With launchd daemon, it's not expected anymore the prompt every time"

I dont know what a launch daemon is, but grateful if someone could advise if its safer than it was before, to let Eddie run without password at startup.

Thanks

PS, In the preferences I see the "mode" choice for network lock. I don't know what the difference is between "Automatic" and "Mac PF". I want the strongest network lock, I would like to prevent any traffic from my machine going outside the Air VPN. Please could someone tell me which one to choose. I did read the help page, but it didn't help me understand this. Thanks

Frankly, all the answers to your questions are already in the same post you asked them in. You answered them yourself.

12 hours ago, harryhoudini said:

I notice the newer version has a "Don't ask elevation every run" in the preferences UI. I don't know what this does. IN the past I was strongly advised against allowing auto login. Can I assume this is no longer the case, and I can now use that option? If so, GREAT!

It's not auto-login. You need "root" access to do what OpenVPN does, so you as a user are asked for your password to confirm that. That option won't ask you anymore, it'll be done automatically in the background.

I dont know what a launch daemon is, but grateful if someone could advise if its safer than it was before, to let Eddie run without password at startup.

launchd = launch daemon, daemon = background service. It is a little safer than previously jumping over a restriction.

I don't know what the difference is between "Automatic" and "Mac PF".

pf (= packet filter) is the implementation of a firewall on macOS. Automatic chooses from one of the options and since pf is the only one on macOS it doesn't make a difference in your case. It's different on Windows for example since you have Windows Firewall and Windows Filtering Platform there, so two options. Choosing automatic will try to use WFP, and if it runs into problems the firewall instead. That's what the option is for.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Sorry, I am totally confused. I am sure it's simple stuff to you but this is not my thing at all and I really struggle to understand what these settings and "root" stuff does/means. Maybe i should try explaining again what I am trying to find out...

Using old Eddie version - I was VERY STRONGLY advised against turning off the password requirement when Eddie runs. With the newer version, is it any safer to do that now? I would really like to have it auto run without a password needed, but I was told this is a huge security risk so I didn't do it before. If I were to do it now, would it be as dangerous as before?

Then it comes to how to turn that password prompt off. I think I am right in saying that option is what I would use to turn it off..... "don't ask elevation every run". Is that right? If I tick that, it will stop prompting for password when Eddie runs?

PF - I see, thanks. I may as well tick Mac PF then :)
thanks again

2 hours ago, harryhoudini said:

Using old Eddie version - I was VERY STRONGLY advised against turning off the password requirement when Eddie runs. With the newer version, is it any safer to do that now? I would really like to have it auto run without a password needed, but I was told this is a huge security risk so I didn't do it before. If I were to do it now, would it be as dangerous as before?

And it was valid – with the old version. It's a little safer now because the password protection is not disabled but worked around instead.

Then it comes to how to turn that password prompt off. I think I am right in saying that option is what I would use to turn it off..... "don't ask elevation every run". Is that right? If I tick that, it will stop prompting for password when Eddie runs?

It stops doing that on Windows and Linux, so I can only deduce that it does the same on macOS.

PF - I see, thanks. I may as well tick Mac PF then :)

The choice doesn't matter if the outcome is the same.

Thanks GN. Just the info I was after.
So there has been a change making it at least a bit safer to not enter password each time. Great, will give that a go. Thanks very much for your help

55 minutes ago, harryhoudini said:

Thanks GN. Just the info I was after.

I could get used to being called "GN", simply because it sounds badass, but frankly, that's not my name. :D

You're welcome. Enjoy. :)