Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.186.241

Posted ... (edited)

Hello AirVPN Community,

My use of AirVPN on my primary device:

ThinkPad X230 IPS
Intel Core i7 3520M @ 2.90GHz Ivy Bridge
8GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
465GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SSD)
Win7Pro x64 SP1

appears to be causing disruptions for at least one other user on my home network.  I live in a community of ~45 people, around 2/3rds of whom receive their internet via a series of hubs/switches connected to a single, enterprise-level router.  The one that services my residence also services four others.  The resident where the hub/switch resides has complained of connectivity issues on his end, which are instantly resolved when he unplugs my line.  The occurrence of these issues is tightly, though not exclusively, correlated with my starting the Eddie client and connecting to a server.  It is unclear at this time how many other users on the same hub/switch experience the same or similar connectivity issues, if any, but we will be testing this soon. We are considering paying a tech out here to troubleshoot and resolve the issue, but it recently occurred to me that it may be worthwhile to ask for support here first.

System Report/Log attached.

Happy to provide any and all additional information upon request, to the extent that I'm able with limited networking knowledge.

Thanks in Advance,

-newmy51

Eddie Report 4-19-20.txt

Edited ... by newmy51

Posted ... (edited)

Seems to be related to the TAP-adapter. Update your "tap-driver version 9.21" to "9.23.x or 9.24.x" For the main adapter switch from DHCP to static.
I'll export the "Comodo config file" that I use for Windows7.

Edited ... by Flx
added info...no need for the config file removed

Flx,

Thanks for your reply.  A couple questions:

Where do I update the TAP driver?

When you say switch from DHCP to static on the main adapter, is that my wireless card?  If so, are there AirVPN-specific instructions on how to do this, and do I need to pick a static IP and enter that in one or more places?

Where do I put your Comodo config file to apply it to my machine?

Continued Thanks,

-newmy51

3 hours ago, Flx said:

Seems to be related to the TAP-adapter. Update your "tap-driver version 9.21" to "9.23.x or 9.24.x" For the main adapter switch from DHCP to static.

Or, you know, update Eddie altogether which updates TAP as well. New stable is 2.18.9. But I don't think it's the main problem.

Can you try a connection with TCP?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

7 hours ago, newmy51 said:

Where do I put your Comodo config file to apply it to my machine?

Set instructions for that will be posted soon enough.
For now do as giganerd has suggested.
7 hours ago, giganerd said:

But I don't think it's the main problem.

A faulty switch or a misconfiguration on the "enterprise-level router" could cause this "bottleneck".

1 hour ago, Flx said:

A faulty switch or a misconfiguration on the "enterprise-level router" could cause this "bottleneck".

Yes, that was my thought as well. Maybe something there doesn't like all the traffic on UDP.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

Hi Everyone,

So we ran another test to see how far of a reach the connectivity loss is.  We determined that it is only people on the same switch/hub as me who experience connectivity loss.  Interestingly, whereas I had previously thought that I could retain a connection while others lost it until or unless I was unplugged from the hub/switch, it now appears that I bring everything crashing down, including my own connection.  Here is another system/log report from the latest experiment.

As for the above-suggested fixes, I'm afraid that they are far too technical for either of us to understand, so none of them have been implemented *aside from* updating the Eddie client to the latest version.

Another test in which my router is assigned a static IP is coming next.

-newmy51

Eddie Report 4-24-20.txt

Edited ... by newmy51

8 minutes ago, Flx said:
See if you can connect in (V or guest-mode) and connect all the others to the (primary/home network).

Once again, not sure what this means.  We gave my router a static IP and all seems to be going well so far.  I noticed that the Eddie client tried to update TAP on its own, but was unsuccessful.  Going to hope that it's now not broken, and therefore not in need of fixing, but will post back here if problems arise again.  Can also post another system report/log upon request.

22 hours ago, newmy51 said:

Once again, not sure what this means.

Your own router or any router for that matter has this option, that is when you connect over WiFi (primary WiFi and guest-mode).
Is this the way you connected/set this up?
Laptop-->Your own router-->connected to the switch-->enterprise-level router.
Any Iphone or tablet that you or your friends have ALWAYS CONNECT THEM TO/IN GUEST-MODE over WiFi.