Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.148.131
JVincent

Opening pages is slow with ipv6 enabled

I've noticed that opening webpages gets often very slow if ipv6 is enabled. It probably has something to do with the dns requests as there have been many threads about the issue. I have tried setting the metric to 25 for my "normal" network connection so it won't get the dns requests, but no help.
Some pages start loading immediately, some take a couple of seconds and then load very fast.
If I disable ipv6 from the Eddie settings and reconnect to vpn, no problems.

Is there something I could do, or just disable the damn thing and hope I'll never need it?

Yes, there is.

1 hour ago, JVincent said:

It probably has something to do with the dns requests as there have been many threads about the issue.

Quote/Link to the threads you read. It only helps those trying to understand your issue and also future readers winding up here after a search.

Then, your information about your setup is very insufficient. There's no mention of your OS, for example, the version of Eddie, etc.
We're also currently experiencing a higher amount of threads about connection problems with older Eddie releases. Before we do anything, please update Eddie to the current stable v2.18.9, then try it again. If the problem still persists, in the Logs tab click the lifebelt icon and upload or paste it here.

About IPv6 in general: Support for it is strictly IPv4-first. v6-only works, of course, but if there is a choice, v4 is always preferred. Can you give a few examples where you experienced your issue?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

This is the major thread here:
I've had the issue basically ever since I signed up for AirVPN, two years or so.. I just now realised that it's ipv6 that causes the thing.
Very hard to give any particular examples, but basically any website may cause a long wait time, several seconds, before the name is resolved and the actual page starts loading. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Browsing the same site works, probably because of dns caching.
If I disable ipv6 and reconnect, everything works like without any VPN. I'm currently running the latest stable version and Win10 is also up-to-date.

airvpn.txt

Hm. If the DNS hiccups on v6, let's try this:
Leave v6 enabled. Then, in Eddie Preferences > OVPN directives, enter pull-filter ignore "DNS6" (don't forget the ""). This will maintain v6 functionality, but omits setting the v6 DNS server. A v4 DNS server will also resolve v6 (and vice versa). Then try surfing again. Maybe this helps.
If no, my method when I used Windows many years ago was to set a static 10.4.0.1 as the sole DNS server and switch back on disconnect. It can be accomplished by an up directive, or in Eddie Preferences > Events tab. That was on 8.1, for 10 you must also disable Smart DNS, the instructions for which are found in the very thread you linked. :)

After testing things here and there, I just couldn't make it work fast enough so I ended up disabling ipv6 in my network card and the router as well. Now the pages open fast and not just randomly..

One question though: even if I've set ipv6 to be blocked in Eddie, why does the VPN connection still get an ipv6 exit address? If I run the test at https://test-ipv6.com/  , the test is quickly performed without VPN but with VPN active, the test waits for more timeouts. It looks like it skips parts automatically because my normal connection does not show anything ipv6 related.

5 minutes ago, JVincent said:

One question though: even if I've set ipv6 to be blocked in Eddie, why does the VPN connection still get an ipv6 exit address?

Because the exit server is IPv6-capable. Even if your machine only supports v4, you can gain v6 connectivity with a VPN server (and vice versa, by the way). The block only refers to local v6 connectivity, as in, use a v6 address of your machine to connect to a v6 address on the internet.