Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.115.195
blueruin39

Using my computer as syncing server with app while running AirVPN?

I'm trying to turn my computer into a server for an app called EVERDO (a task management app).

The instructions for doing so are fairly straightforward.

However, because I permanently run AirVPN (with network lock), these instructions do not work; my Android device cannot connect to my computer that is attempting to act as the server.

I have tried forwarding the port that I selected to use in the client both on AirVPN and on my router.

I also am somewhat confused about what IP address I'm supposed to use. When I run "ifconfig" I get several IP addresses. I'm assuming the one I am supposed to use is the local IP address that AirVPN direct traffic to? I have tried using all the IP addresses that "ifconfig" spits out and none of them work.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I'm not very strong in networking, and AirVPN adds an extra layer of complexity that most tutorials and guides do not address. Some help setting up this server would be greatly appreciated.

22 hours ago, blueruin39 said:

I'm assuming the one I am supposed to use is the local IP address that AirVPN direct traffic to? I have tried using all the IP addresses that "ifconfig" spits out and none of them work

It's of course the wrong assumption. :)
You must use the external, public IP of the VPN server your Everdo server machine is connected to. That's what the DDNS field is for in the port forwarding screen: You can enter a name and then connect to your server via name.airdns.org:port. Neat, because if you change the VPN server on the Everdo server machine, that name will still point to the Everdo server without reconfiguration.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

6 hours ago, giganerd said:

It's of course the wrong assumption. :)
You must use the external, public IP of the VPN server your Everdo server machine is connected to. That's what the DDNS field is for in the port forwarding screen: You can enter a name and then connect to your server via name.airdns.org:port. Neat, because if you change the VPN server on the Everdo server machine, that name will still point to the Everdo server without reconfiguration.

Ahh, okay that makes sense because the reason I assumed that the external AirVPN address wasn't going to work is because I constantly shift servers...

So for "name.airdns.org:port", "name" is just my user name?

Since you mention "ifconfig", I assume this is Linux. And you would be connecting to it over your home LAN?

I don't normally use Eddie. So I cannot tell you exactly where the option is. But I believe you can disable "Network Lock" for your local LAN traffic. The routing set up on each device on your home LAN should allow making connections between machines within your home LAN.

If you are connecting to your  Linux server from the internet, then connecting through the AirVPN external IP address may be frustrating. If you disable Network Lock altogether, and do the some setup with the Linux firewall on your Linux server, then you should be able to connect back directly to your Linux server from the internet. The firewall set up you need to do is described here:

https://github.com/tool-maker/VPN_just_for_torrents/wiki/Maintaining-SSH-Access-Using-a-VPN-on-a-Remote-Linux-Server

EDIT: If you do want to connect to your server without going through AirVPN, then I suggest that you first get this working with the AirVPN turned off. Then turn AirVPN on, with Network Lock disabled just for LAN. It should still work from your LAN devices. If you need to connect from the internet, then disable Network Lock altogether and run the "native_if_return_on" script provided at the page I linked to above, on your server.