Not connected, Your IP: 18.232.169.110
FunThomas

using windows app to not use the eddie vpn(without network lock)

Hi,
is there a way to start a windows 10 program on pc to not default connect over the eddie vpn ?

i have a problem with the limitation of the 20 forwarded ports and want to connect without vpn over my normal IP with a single program.

best regards,
Thomas

The VPN is for the whole system. If there is a way, it will involve a complication. As far as I remember, the only thing I've seen for Windows is a guide about setting up a VPN for torrenting only, but that guide gets older by the day. I don't guarantee that it still works. Maybe someone else can report on that.

Moreover I'm wondering what kind of client apps need more than 20 ports…

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

13 hours ago, giganerd said:

The VPN is for the whole system. If there is a way, it will involve a complication. As far as I remember, the only thing I've seen for Windows is a guide about setting up a VPN for torrenting only, but that guide gets older by the day. I don't guarantee that it still works. Maybe someone else can report on that.

Moreover I'm wondering what kind of client apps need more than 20 ports…

Mirc + DCC needs more ports open 😉

Do you know where you found the guide how to use the airvpn for torrent only ?

Posted ... (edited)
On 2/22/2020 at 8:47 AM, NaDre said:

A shorter version addressing IPv6 and with sample scripts to set up the routing here:
https://github.com/tool-maker/VPN_just_for_torrents/wiki/Running-OpenVPN-on-Windows-without-VPN-as-Default-Gateway

That was definitely a simpler read than the guide from here, but I'm not sure it is working fully. For example the Steam.exe gets the local IP matching the VPN even without adjusting settings on that program to use a specific adapter. Also, the CMD.exe doesn't seem to reflect it as working either. Even using the -S switch of PING command and specifying the IP corresponding to the adapter without VPN on it shows high pings that exactly match those of the VPN pings.

If everything was working as advertised then ALL programs would default to NOT using the VPN unless specifically told otherwise like you'd do in the torrent client. Edited ... by joe7dust

On 6/20/2020 at 4:48 PM, joe7dust said:
If everything was working as advertised then ALL programs would default to NOT using the VPN unless specifically told otherwise like you'd do in the torrent client.

If the VPN is set up in the way OpenVPN does it by default, then the batch script will ensure that the original default gateway remains the default gateway when the VPN is on.

Any program that just uses the default gateway will not be affected.

If the VPN you use is not AirVPN, then check what that VPN does to the routing table in order to set up the VPN as the default gateway. Compare the routing table with the VPN up and with the VPN down to ensure that the VPN is not attempting to override the default gateway in a manner that is not the normal thing. What routing table entries does the VPN add? If the VPN is being set up in some unusual way then this could defeat the script.

Also, a program can bind to any IP interface it wants, rather than letting its IP traffic use the default gateway. Use Process Explorer to see what IP interfaces your game program binds to, both with the VPN up and off, in case it is doing something unusual. This could also defeat the script.

You can add Windows firewall rules to block traffic from the program from using an interface you do not want it to use (as is done for uTorrent in the longer version of the guide). And the program cannot circumvent this. But this does not guarantee the program will operate properly.

None of the common torrent clients have such bad behaviours. Except uTorrent which will ignore an instruction to bind to a particular IP address if the bind fails, and instead bind without an IP address to  use the default gateway.

It may be that steam operates in a way that defeats this approach. Perhaps it is binding to the VPN IP address explicitly? Trying to "call home" on each interface? Plex does this. Again, use Process Explorer to see what IP addresses it is binding to.