Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.73.35

Hi,

I wanted to try IPv6 on Linux again. In the past, it didn't work because I was using NetworkManager's OpenVPN plugin, and I was told it was not supported.

I understand the recommended way is to use openvpn at the command line, or the new hummingbird client. However, neither are resulting in working ipv6.

I see a one-time reference to "sit0" but nothing else shows. My guess is that NetworkManager's IPv6 settings needs to be configured to allow for CLI openvpn or hummingbird to take over. Are there any guides on how to do this?

Thank you!

If you use OpenVPN 2.4.x, v6 is supported and every recent version of nm has got the GUI elements to set v6. Make sure, though, that, when generating the configs, you tick Advanced and select IPv4 & IPv6 (connect with IPv6) because IPv4 only is picked by default. My tests with nm on KDE revealed that it automagically fills the corresponding fields and settings in the GUI when importing a v6-supporting profile.

There is one very annoying thing, though: nm-openvpn ignores the pulled directive redirect-gateway def1. So when you connect you will have no connectivity with anything else but the VPN, i.e., you will not be able to reach your local net's machines.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

7 hours ago, giganerd said:

Make sure, though, that, when generating the configs, you tick Advanced and select IPv4 & IPv6 (connect with IPv6) because IPv4 only is picked by default.

Yep that's what I needed to do (connect with IPv4 though since my ISP doesn't have IPv6 support). I haven't tried nm-openvpn again but maybe I will. Thank you!