Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.119.66
Frank Young

Reverse Proxy Setup using letsencrypt docker on unraid

Hi All,

New to AirVPN, and I almost have my network set up correctly. So far I've got my pfSense router configured with an AirVPN interface, and all LAN traffic that I want going through the VPN is working well, except one. I've got an Unraid server running a reverse proxy I use for connecting to my unraid's nextcloud docker container. If the router is configured to use the regular WAN interface for the server, I can connect to nextcloud no problem. When I try to connect thorugh the AirVPN interface, no dice. My setup follows SpaceinvaderOne's tutorial on youtube, using duckdns for letsencrypt to obtain https certificates. I've played with this for days now, and can't get LetsEncrypt to create a new certificate, I keep getting the same error: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem). Setup is as follows:

Unraid duckdns docker container: duck dns website shows my AirVPN exit IP address. pinging my duckdns subdomain returns my AirVPN exit IP address. All good here.
LetsEncrypt docker container: Removed LetsEncrypt docker container, and started fresh to force it to create a new certificate. Container port 80 is mapped to 180. Container port 443 is mapped to port 1443.
Pfsense Firewall/NAT/Port Forward Rule: AirVPN Interface, TCP Protocol, Destination is AirVPN address port 180. Redirect target ip to unraid server, port 180. NAT reflection set to enable. Exact same setup for port 1443 to 1443.
AirVPN/Client Area/Forwarded Ports: Port 12345, TCP protocol, Local port 180. Port 23456, TCP protocol, Local Port 1443.

Accessing the AirVPN/Clent Area/Forwarded ports from a computer not on the VPN, the TCP Test check shows dark grey. Hovering over it seems to do nothing on firefox.
When starting LetsEncrypt, I get the following errors in the log file:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2048 bit DH parameters present
SUBDOMAINS entered, processing
SUBDOMAINS entered, processing
Only subdomains, no URL in cert
Sub-domains processed are: -d xxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org
E-mail address entered: xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
http validation is selected
Generating new certificate
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator standalone, Installer None
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator standalone, Installer None
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org
Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org
http-01 challenge for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org
Cleaning up challenges
Challenge failed for domain xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org
http-01 challenge for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.
IMPORTANT NOTES:
- The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org
Type: connection
Detail: Fetching
http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org/.well-known/acme-challenge/5nE9VpEtxFI4KAE:
Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain
contain(s) the right IP address. Additionally, please check that
your computer has a publicly routable IP address and that no
firewalls are preventing the server from communicating with the
client. If you're using the webroot plugin, you should also verify
that you are serving files from the webroot path you provided.
ERROR: Cert does not exist! Please see the validation error above. The issue may be due to incorrect dns or port forwarding settings. Please fix your settings and recreate the container
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there may be a more straight forward way of doing this using AirVPN DDNS, and I tried that for a while as well but couldn't get it working either. Would like to stay with the duckdns method. Any suggestions on what could be the issue? I'm thinking somethings up with the TCP Test check, but don't know how to diagnose and fix this (didn't see anything in the arivpn guide about this).
Any help is appreciated, thanks guys and gals

I've tried tracing out the routing..
DuckDNS Docker on host -> pfsense router AirVPN interface -> AirVPN exit server -> DuckDNS: Updates IP with AirVPN Exit server

LetsEncrypt Docker (80,443) -> host proxynet (180,1443) -> pfsense router AirVPN interface w/ 180,1443 ports forwarded -> AirVPN exit server w/ port forward 180 to 25789, 1443 to 25790.

I've also tried:
LetsEncrypt Docker (80,443) -> host proxynet (180,1443) -> pfsense router AirVPN interface w/ port forward 180 to 180 ,1443 to 1443 -> AirVPN exit server w/ no forwarded ports

LetsEncrypt Docker (80,443) -> host proxynet (25789, 25790) -> pfsense router AirVPN interface w/ 25789, 25790 ports forwarded -> AirVPN exit server w/ 25789, 25790 ports forwarded.

LetsEncrypt Docker (80,443) -> host proxynet (180, 1443) -> pfsense router AirVPN interface w/ port forward 180 to 25789, 1443 to 25790 -> AirVPN exit server w/ 25789, 25790 ports forwarded.

Note that since unraid uses port 80 and 443 I need to remap those ports used by letsEncrypt to something else.