Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.75.131

Hi all,  There is another similar thread on here about Emby (a media server) and AirVPN. That user's fix was to disable the network lock on the client (Eddie), but that hasn't worked for me. 

Image 1 - Emby shows that my local port is 8096, and my external is AirVPN.IP:26163 

Image 2 - AirVPN has port 26163 forwarded to 8096 (image 2 attached).  I also tested forwarding AirVPN 26163 external port to 26163 internal port, but that too gives me a red check mark. 

When I turn off Eddie I can access Emby Server on port 26163 at my real IP.

What am i doing wrong?

embyports.png

airvpnport.png

10 hours ago, n7of9 said:

Hi all,  There is another similar thread on here about Emby (a media server) and AirVPN. That user's fix was to disable the network lock on the client (Eddie), but that hasn't worked for me. 

What thread would that be?

When I turn off Eddie I can access Emby Server on port 26163 at my real IP.

On the same machine/computer where you installed EMBY or from a different one?
Elaborate a little bit on "How you connect"?

What am i doing wrong?

DDNS does not have a name.
If you want to connect to that server using the server IP e.g. 184.75.xxx.xxx:26163 does work.
The moment that server IP changes you cannot do that anymore.

8 minutes ago, Flx said:
What thread would that be? 
Oops, the thread about PIA is on Emby forums: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50977-running-emby-server-behind-vpn/page-2?hl=airvpn#entry568916
The thread on AirVPN that discusses Emby ended up being an error by the OP attempting remote access on the same device AirVPN was running on

9 minutes ago, Flx said:
On the same machine/computer where you installed EMBY or from a different one? DDNS does not have a name.

Different. I am testing using a browser on my phone (with wifi off, so an entirely different connection), and also using the Emby Android app. Both browser and app connect when AirVPN is off on my server PC.

I re-added the port in AirVPN settings and added a DDNS, there is no change.

9 minutes ago, Flx said:
If you want to connect to that server using the server IP e.g. 184.75.xxx.xxx:26163 does work.
The moment that server IP changes you cannot do that anymore.

Connecting to the server using server IP 184.75xxx:26163 with AirVPN on does not work. 
Connecting to the server using server IP 123.456xxx:26163 with AirVPN off (that is, my real IP), it does work.
This should mean that Emby remote access works, and the issue is something to do my settings on AirVPN?

1 hour ago, n7of9 said:

Connecting to the server using server IP 184.75xxx:26163 with AirVPN on does not work. 

If you use Eddie App on your PC server; then it probably will not work.
You need an "Allow EMBY rule". Whitelist EMBY through "Eddie/Firewall".
What firewall do you utilize and don't say you have only "Windows Defender"?

2 hours ago, n7of9 said:

This should mean that Emby remote access works, and the issue is something to do my settings on AirVPN?

That's not the issue. It's the way you have configured your PC server.(where you have installed EMBY).
Take a look at GUIDE - EMBY(below).

5 hours ago, Flx said:
If you use Eddie App on your PC server; then it probably will not work.
You need an "Allow EMBY rule". Whitelist EMBY through "Eddie/Firewall".
What firewall do you utilize and don't say you have only "Windows Defender"?

uumm, ok, i'm running Blindows Blefender (sorry) 🏃‍♀️ I run it alongside a utility called Windows 10 Firewall Control which allows me to block or allow apps. Every time I've tried to use a proper firewall I inevitably encounter issues and I just don't understand enough about it to 'fix' the issues.

4 hours ago, Flx said:
That's not the issue. It's the way you have configured your PC server.(where you have installed EMBY).
Take a look at GUIDE - EMBY(below).

Thanks for the link, I had looked at your guide, a couple of times, and a lot of it is over my head unfortunately.

1 hour ago, n7of9 said:

i'm running Blindows Blefender

What is that? The first time I hear of this.
1 hour ago, n7of9 said:

I run it alongside a utility called Windows 10 Firewall Control which allows me to block or allow apps.

OMG....that's "obsolete"
1 hour ago, n7of9 said:

Every time I've tried to use a proper firewall I inevitably encounter issues and I just don't understand enough about it to 'fix' the issues.

"encountered issues" as in configuring a software firewall too difficult?

So I haven't 'fixed' anything because that would mean I knew what I was doing, but I got it working by throwing various Googles into the world and somehow succeeding.  I have a router that has DDNS in its settings, so I added no-ip account details in there.  I can now access my Emby server externally while Eddie is running by going to alias.no-ip.org:8096 (default Emby server port). I also added that as the Server location in the Emby Android app and that too worked.  I only half understand what I did, maybe I'll learn the other half if this ever stops working and I have to figure it out all over again. 

1 hour ago, Flx said:
What is that? The first time I hear of this. 

That's called me trying to be funny...ha!

1 hour ago, Flx said:
OMG....that's "obsolete" 

I know, and I know it's a shit band-aid, but it works for me. 

1 hour ago, Flx said:
"encountered issues" as in configuring a software firewall too difficult?

I could follow instructions and configure them, but if something went wrong later on I could never figure out how to fix things, and it would leave me without internet.  So I gave up and just started using AirVPN because...I don't know, it makes me feel better :)

Thanks for trying to help, you're awesome!

7 minutes ago, Flx said:

Glad you resolved your issue/problem☺️
What is the IP on No-IP DUC app/icon on your PC server?
If you see an AirVPN IP case solved.

DUC definitely shows AirVPN IP  :thumbs: 

"I had looked at your guide, a couple of times, and a lot of it is over my head unfortunately."
Comodo - New rule crafted for Server-side in "Guide - EMBY".
Maybe you will understand the new one.

Regards,
Flx