Not connected, Your IP: 3.84.110.120
chewy74

[Request] connection status app

Is it possible to make an app that will send an alert to your your phone, when your VPN connection has been disconnected? 

I use airvpn on my Raspberry Pi 3 and want to be alerted on my phone whenever it loses VPN connection. It seems doable, but I have no coding experience... 

I think this would be a useful tool to have 

I think the easiest solution would be to send a mail with Linux commands which then will trigger a notification on your phone from the mail app.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:22 PM, giganerd said:

I think the easiest solution would be to send a mail with Linux commands which then will trigger a notification on your phone from the mail app.

Not really sure how to do that... 😐

Thinking about it, you need a mail server in your local network which still has internet connectivity, preferably on your ISP line. Unless you only want to be notified if you're home.
If the VPN connection fails, there is no way for the RasPi to send it outside the local network, so it must be somewhere in your network. Now, if you happen to have a consumer-grade NAS like Synology or QNAP where it's possible to configure such a mail server, this might be the way to go.

An Android notification still involves having something in your network because, once again, you will have no internet on the RasPi. In this case, it will be a push message server, the installation of which will be much more involved.

I don't own synology or QNAP.  I would think the feature could be added to the Eddie client app, and when a connection is lost it sends a push notification to the app. 

This is just an alert... No kill switch involved 

Okay, in the case of Eddie and a disabled NetLock on it it could work. It would require a push message server operated by Air, and a client app for that specific server on your phone.
Also, Android 8+ heavily restricts background apps and the only service that works out of the box without a permanent notification is Firebase, which is included in the Play Services and is therefore a closed-source Google feature. Not impossible, but is it worth the effort to cater to such a niche request? Mail is much easier compared to this :D

That's really cognitive information to know about such a indomitable and concrete stuffs. I stolidly respect that effort and hope to keep the good work as same as always.