Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.74.54
Sign in to follow this  
Jacobcullen

Need Help Replacing M.2 with NVMe in Laptop

Hey guys, I'm normally long winded, but I'll try and keep it short. :

I have a Dominator GT62VR. It came with an internal 1tb HDD and 256gb M.2 SATA SSD.

I have a 256gb NVMe M.2 (Samsung SM961) that I'd like to put in place of the internal M.2.

I cloned the Windows 10 on the M.2 Drive to my free netflix 1tb drive using a sector by sector to my internal 1tb and created a bootable USB to drop that backup on the new NVMe. Which I've done.

Now the problem: When booting up on the new NMVe, Windows won't load. Or rather, it never even gets to that part. I believe it has something to do with Secure boot, or keys or some sort of authentication that's happening before it starts trying to load windows. It'll see it, and I can press tech news F11 and select the right boot media which is that NVMe, so I believe the drivers and everything are working, but when i let it try and boot, the MSI logo comes up, and then the spinning 5~ dots pop up at the bottom, spin for 10 seconds, android 9 and then reboot the laptop.

It could be an issue with the boot partition off the NVMe, but that is copied straight from the M.2 via the drive clone. So, I'm looking for any information. I have done like 90% of the work, but this problem foils it all!

Let me know if you need any more information to help troubleshoot.

Thanks for your time!

Try to clean install your system to see if there is an issue with the image you made or the laptop. You should also check this out which mentions several limitations of msi laptops and nvme drives.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=275902.0