Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.249.219
zarazath

ANSWERED Unable to torrent through AirVPN (Not a port-related issue)

Hey hey! New to the service and loving it so far, just recently ran into a roadblock.

I got my sub about 2 weeks ago. Successfully setup OpenVPN 2.4 and a jailed Transmission daemon on Ubuntu 16.04. Up until 2 nights ago, everything was working perfectly, then I was suddenly unable to contact any trackers OR receive any peers through DHT. After hours of scouring, I've learned that public trackers like to blacklist entire IP ranges of datacenters that AirVPN uses. With this in mind...

I've tried a lot of troubleshooting, here's a brief rundown:

1. I can confirm this is specifically an issue when connected to AirVPN. I binded Transmission to my server's WAN IP and it worked right away, both trackers and DHT peer discovery.

2. I've setup logging for Transmission and can confirm that DHT is bootstrapping successfully while connected to AirVPN, but it reports back 0 nodes/peers and claims it's "broken".

3. I've tried atleast 3 dozen other AirVPN servers in attempt to circumvent a potential blacklist to no avail. (If you are currently torrenting successfully, please reply with the current server you're connected to so I can give that a go.)

4. I've triple-checked iptables rules and port configurations. I'm remotely accessing Transmission via RPC through an AirVPN IP as I type this. I've also made sure that the Port Config page is reporting a "reachable" status for my forwarded peer port.

5. I've tried changing the forwarded peer port several times, just in case.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate the insight. I'm hoping it's just a matter of finding a server that isn't blacklisted. Thanks!