Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.251.72
Sign in to follow this  
cr4qsh0t

ANSWERED High CPU usage all of a sudden

Hi,

I've been using AirVPN for quite some time, if I'm not mistaken, I've renewed my annual subscription at least twice, and I never had any issues.

I've always been using your VPN services on a 50 Mbit connection and would easily also get the same speed behind the VPN, no issues whatsoever.

However, just today, all of a sudden, I noticed my PC lagging a bit away whilst downloading a torrent while connected to your VPN services. I checked the task manager and was surprised to see the CPU usage at 25% (full load on one core - i5 6600K, OpenVPN GUI on Win 7 Ultimate w/ SP1). The download speed was at about 1.7 MiB/s and the CPU usage correlated with the download speed.

My computer setup and software configuration have not changed significantly since using VPN services, and I've never encountered this before. I don't know, I was thinking, did you guys maybe up the encryption security so that using the VPN now requires more CPU usage?

Has anyone else noticed this as of late?

In response, I downloaded the newest version of OpenVPN GUI, same problem.

I thought it may the torrent network or client, so I downloaded a file of the internet, same problem.

Like I said, my hardware and software config have not changed, and I have used AirVPN's services in the past with a full 48 Mbps throughput, and I don't even know the CPU usage it needed back then, because it was never an issue.

Any clues?

I think this is normal, and Im not sure if there is a fix for this, as OpenVPN uses your Cpu power to "Encrypt" the packets you send\receive. So the higher the Download\Upload speed the higher the Cpu usage.

Just as sudden as the issue popped up, it has also disappeared.

I did a speedtest just now and was at 40Mbit, also downloaded a file, speed was 5.3 MiB/s, the CPU usage was at a comfy 10-15%.

I did restart my computer earlier, when I first noticed the issue, and it persisted after the restart. It was a software restart, no full power-down.

I didn't do anything specific since then, except maybe have a minute of actual full power-down, and now, a few hours later, the problem just disappeared. I did not even restart my router since then, and it may have, unbeknownst to me, dropped the line and dialed a new connection, but I really didn't do anything to amend the problems, and now it's just gone.

Weird, it must've been my local (cached?) configuration causing the problem, but it then should've mitigated after a restart, which did not occur. Maybe the full power-down actually changed something, maybe some data was cached in my network controller that got cleared after a full power-down, but I can't really explain it.

Anyway, issue solved.