Not connected, Your IP: 34.227.191.136
Kingdom

Need assistance ubuntu upgrade 16.04.3 LTS

Hi, i thought this may be a good of a place as any to ask this question, I have seen more experienced linux users here than on ubuntu forums. I am trying to upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04.2 to 16.04.3 LTS. The issue is its trying to remove some important packages in the process. Can someone please tell me which packages need reinstalling to avoid issues. Below is the command results.

~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ubuntu-desktop xorg xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-input-all-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-input-evdev-hwe-16.04
  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-input-wacom-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-all-hwe-16.04
  xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-ati-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-hwe-16.04
  xserver-xorg-video-intel-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-qxl-hwe-16.04
  xserver-xorg-video-radeon-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-vesa-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-vmware-hwe-16.04
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libxfont2
The following packages will be upgraded:
  xserver-xorg-core-hwe-16.04
1 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 17 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 1,437 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5,407 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Anyone giving advice will know that "Y" and reboot will cause problems.

Thank you for any assistance provided.

Have a look at Xenial release notes. The way of upgrading is described there.

dist-upgrade does NOT upgrade a distribution, it only upgrades and removes obsolete packages. The rest will remain. Having packages from the next distro release does not mean you are using the newest version of said distro, there are still things packaging tools won't upgrade. do-release-upgrade seems to be a better way, but please look at its manpage before execution.

man do-release-upgrade

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.