Not connected, Your IP: 3.22.61.246
Sign in to follow this  
Abhut

Accessing own computer via Internet ip

Hi,

when I try to access i.e. a FTP server on my PC from my PC via forwarded port using my outward facing ip (through VPN) I can't connect. When trying this from a PC outside my network I can't connect.

So my problem is that I cant connect to my own PC using my internet IP. Am I doing something wrong in eddy configuration or is there some kind of workaround?

Basically, your computer not longer responds to calls through your local router's outward facing IP address if all data in and out is being routed (tunnelled) through VPN. The computer that you need to address (that the port is being forwarded from) is the AirVPN server that your computer is connected to. Think of the AirVPN server as your router and the outward facing IP address to the internet is the IP address of that server (router) that then forwards the port to your computer through the VPN tunnel.

You'd have to set Eddie to connect to a particular server to have a consistent IP address to use.

I remember that there is a way of routing ports in Eddie outside of the VPN tunnel (so that when they are forwarded by your local home router, your computer will respond to them). Someone else will have to walk you through that since I've not actually done it and I use the CLI interface anyway.

If you route ports outside of the VPN tunnel, they obviously don't go through AirVPN.