Not connected, Your IP: 3.134.104.173
Sign in to follow this  
nattor

Slow speeds using qbittorrent

Hey all , I am struggling a little with speeds on qbittorrent while downloading in particular. I get speeds of around 25 mb/s with the vpn on , yet qbittorrent seems to only be using around 2 mb/s. I have tried different protocols and this seems a little slow to me. Am kind of new and noobish whilst discussing VPNs so it may be a silly mistake I have made , either way I would appreciate some input on the problem if any of you can help!

Quite a few use qBittorrent including me, and usually as fast as any other client, with(out) a VPN. It is an opensource and well featured app, better than many others.

But a bit needs to be done from the initial setup defaults. There are other related threads in this forum for more reading.

1. Setup a forwarded port for the bittorrent protocol.

Read https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/

Set the port assigned by Air in qB Tools/Options/Connection/Listening port.

If using W10, and no antivirus/security product, the W10 firewall should be on for public networks. You need to go to Control Panel/System and security/Windows firewall/Allowed applications/Allow another app.

2. Set qBittorrent/Tools/Options/Speed/Rate limit settings/Enable uTP protocol.

3. Set qBittorrent/Tools/Options/BitTorrent/Privacy/Enable DHT and PeX.

4. Optionally set /Tools/Options/Advanced/Network interface to the endpoint name of the VPN. This is an extra security feature, but is complicated to explain, easier to enable Network Lock in the Air Eddie client.

5. Test with a well seeded torrent. Reboot and start qB, search for "Ubuntu" in qB and Download the one with the most Seeders.

Bittorrent performance varies with how many trackers and peers and seeders for each item and their bandwidths.

6. Sometimes there is congestion in the path from the VPN server to your ISP, or other restrictions, so you may want to compare different Air server locations and possibly other OpenVPN protocols.

Get back here with more details of your system config and problem description if still "stuck".

Amazing , thanks to both of you will try these things out when i get the chance . thanks for your help!