Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.4.126
greenclaydog

Dumb question regarding 4g LTE networks and VPN privacy

Are there any functional differences in web history tracking between WiFi and cellular networks?

Is it possible that providers track web histories on cellular networks locally through apps such as Verizon's "My Verizon" App here in the US? 

I would assume it would be just as safe as WiFi, in the sense that all web logging is done on the router/ISP level off device and is thus protected by the encryption of the VPN.

does this remain true for cellular networks, or are there local threats that we need to be aware of when using cellular networks? 

Sorry for any stupidity in advance on my part, but i would like to hear some clarification on this. 

Not something you can objectively compare, there some mobile carriers who are known to inject ads:

http://www.csoonline.com/article/2953718/browser-security/t-mobile-caught-in-crossfire-of-injected-ad-war-between-shady-ad-networks-and-google.html

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/relevant-mobile-ad/

However some broadband ISPs do many tricks as well, just as redirecting NXDOMAINs to their own ads pages and so on.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Not something you can objectively compare, there some mobile carriers who are known to inject ads:

http://www.csoonline.com/article/2953718/browser-security/t-mobile-caught-in-crossfire-of-injected-ad-war-between-shady-ad-networks-and-google.html

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/relevant-mobile-ad/

However some broadband ISPs do many tricks as well, just as redirecting NXDOMAINs to their own ads pages and so on.

Yes, this is something i always assumed both WiFI and cellular networks did.

I am more concerned about privacy concerns when using a VPN on a cellular network compared to using a VPN on a traditional WiFi network.

[...]

I would assume it would be just as safe as WiFi, in the sense that all web logging is done on the router/ISP level off device and is thus protected by the encryption of the VPN.

does this remain true for cellular networks, or are there local threats that we need to be aware of when using cellular networks? 

[...]

see my post here

given what Vault 7 has brought to the table, as well as a great deal of previous information, i might say that there is no security whatsoever on the cellular network - one of the problems is that 'other' OS that's running within your phone; the baseband

according to the leak, even encrypted communications may not be secure because apparently they can be harvested before the data is encrypted

that said, whether you're safe might depend on what you're doing - if you're torrenting, i wouldn't worry about it, but if you have a reason to be worried about government surveillance, you might have a very big problem

This is coming from someone who used to make money off of blackmarkets (counterfeit money, drugs, fraud). I don't do this anymore, and I got my life back together.

What is something I've learned that is the most important thing (forensic-wise)? Physical security is above all. A VPN isn't going to protect you.

The FBI/CIA/NSA has backdoors in everything and can build an identity of you by just one connection to one of their honeypots. VPN or not. They can see your TCP/SYN fingerprint, which has your language, your real OS, and browser. They can also find out what timezone you are in, your screensize, if you have a touchscreen, your WebGL fingerprint, hash of your canvas, your writing style, and use supercookies to track you. Then if they want to make sure they have the right person, the compare, and have a full profile again. Even if you use a VPN, have an antivirus, use adblock, etc, you aren't doing enough.

If you have a program that can bypass your VPN, then you are f--k'd. The government can beat you, they just will, unless you give up some pretty nice features for your privacy. I have couple VPNs running, including AirVPN, oVPN.se, and Mullvad.

I have multiple virtual machines that get wiped daily, and the OS at the end of the virtual machine? TAILS.

(Yes, I am paranoid. I know what the feds are capable of. It is scary and you may not know the tip of the iceberg.)

@airvpn8282 - some of your concerns -- not all -- can be addressed with browser and email configuration - see here if you're running Firefox