Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.102.112
air2157

Which DNS IP should I get?

For quite some time, my connections to AirVPN always seemed to result in me seeing a DNS server IP address of 10.4.0.1. Today I checked my system log and the openvpn connection is now being told that the new DNS IP address is 10.30.0.1. (This is on a Latvia server, BTW.) Some investigation shows that the 10.30.0.1 address has been pushed for some time but I just didn't notice.

But 10.4.0.1 is still there and I can still ping it and I can still point my DNS resolver to it and receive an answer.

So a few questions:

1) What determines which DNS IP address I will receive?

2) Since 10.4.0.1 is pingable and DNS still seems to work just fine using that address, what's happening under the covers?

3) And is it important which IP address I use for DNS resolution - other than it be pointing an AirVPN server?

Hi!

1) What determines which DNS IP address I will receive?

https://airvpn.org/specs/

2) Since 10.4.0.1 is pingable and DNS still seems to work just fine using that address, what's happening under the covers?

3) And is it important which IP address I use for DNS resolution - other than it be pointing an AirVPN server?

They actually point to the same DNS server so it doesn't matter. You should just let Openvpn/Eddie handle it for you

Thanks @nick75  The link was very useful.

The "problem", if it can be called that, is that I had edited the .ovpn file and added the IP addresses of the Lithuania servers but hadn't included the port number, so it had defaulted to 1194. For some reason, though 1194 doesn't appear on the IP address table, it was being asigned to subnet 10.30.* *.

I've fixed the .ovpn file and have added port 443 so am now back on 10.4.*.*. Problem resolved.

For some reason, though 1194 doesn't appear on the IP address table, it was being asigned to subnet 10.30.* *.

It's available but undocumented. Some people in the past asked for the default port to be opened for connections but default (VPN) ports are prone to shaping/QoS or even blocking.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.