Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.84.155
Sign in to follow this  
princi

BBC iPlayer half works

Hi all,

New to AirVPN after being a loyal Astrill customer for 5+ years.

The attraction for me is the micro-routing - which maybe used to work better in the past, but it still sort of works and removes the need for multiple tunnels.

I connect to Kitalpha and get fantastic ping times, given where I am located. The Swiss and French apps I use all work well. BBC iPlayer works on the iPad and PC for streaming - but not on my Sony Bravia Android TV. However, downloading on the iPad doesn't work, they fail almost instantly.

Of course I'm using AirVPN DNS as my first DNS server and a DE-based Internic DNS for the only other one.

VPN account is configured on a Sabai OS router (Tomato-based).

I have tried the account on the latest version of Asus-wrt Merlin to see whether I get different results, but similar problems.

Any tips & tricks regarding BBC iPlayer? Kitalpha is really the only option for me due to the stellar ping times I'm getting.

Cheers...

This may be related to an issue I have.

BBC provides video both as HDS (Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming) and HLS (Apple HTTP Live Streaming), as well as RTMP. For an explanation, you could start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_bitrate_streaming

Browsing with Firefox uses HDS. I find that Firefox streaming/HDS works on any AirVPN server I try.

But ripping with get_iplayer uses HLS. I find that I have to use a U.K. server in order for get_iplayer/HLS to work.

Perhaps the situations where you have failures are also trying to use HLS?