Not connected, Your IP: 18.189.2.122

Hello!

I'm currently using Linux Mint 18 and would like to configure my system to use VPN over TOR (PC->TOR->VPN).

How would I go about doing this? I'm using OpenVPN via terminal with UFW for a network lock.

My UFW Config:

[AIRVPN SRVR IP] 443/udp   ALLOW OUT   Anywhere                  
Anywhere                   ALLOW OUT   Anywhere on tun0          
Anywhere (v6)              ALLOW OUT   Anywhere (v6) on tun0   

Added to .ovpn configuration to prevent DNS leak:

script-security 2
up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

Thanks!

UFW is just a frontend for managing rules. Not sure why you would still need it, the Air client can handle everything for you.

Yeah but when I reboot my PC, there is no network lock until the Air client is opened.

Wrong, it was designed just for scenarios like this, or between reboots or when it crashes.

The iptables rules take effect as soon as the kernel is booted, so you have no chance of leaks.

Well then I guess something is flushing the iptables rules because when my computer reboots, there is no more "network lock" and all traffic leaks. This also happened on my previous Ubuntu install. I even enabled the "activate network lock on startup" option in the Air client preferences. Any suggestions?

Hello,

I just wanted to ask a separate question within the same subject. I have been using AirVPN for a while (and this is my first post), and for the first time I have downloaded the AirVPN client. It seems to work fine. However,  I wanted to try a AirVPN over TOR connection, but I can't seem to get past this stage:

• Download and launch Tor browser bundle
  • Set Tor as connection mode in AirVPN -> Preferences, press the Test button. If there is some problem, refer to the section Tor Control authentication below.

I can't find the test button under any tabs in Preferences. Am I missing something? Also, I've been doing a simple TOR over AirVPN for all this time so, I already had the TorBrowser installed and it is working fine. I'm using OSX El Capitan,  and AirVPN Client ver. 2.10.3

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello,

I just wanted to ask a separate question within the same subject. I have been using AirVPN for a while (and this is my first post), and for the first time I have downloaded the AirVPN client. It seems to work fine. However,  I wanted to try a AirVPN over TOR connection, but I can't seem to get past this stage:

• Set Tor as connection mode in AirVPN -> Preferences, press the Test button. If there is some problem, refer to the section Tor Control authentication below.

I can't find the test button under any tabs in Preferences. Am I missing something? Also, I've been doing a simple TOR over AirVPN for all this time so, I already had the TorBrowser installed and it is working fine. I'm using OSX El Capitan,  and AirVPN Client ver. 2.10.3

Thank you!

Hey!

I'm not sure if my client layout is the same as yours (Linux client), although I assume it is.​

You can find the test button by navigating to AirVPN Preferences > Protocols. It's in the protocols tab. Make sure the Tor protocol is selected and you should be able to click the test button located adjacent to the Tor connection settings.

Also if anyone knows what is resetting the iptable rules on reboot causing network leak until AirVPN client is started and sets iptables again, that be great!

Hello,

Thank you!

Hey!

I'm not sure if my client layout is the same as yours (Linux client), although I assume it is.​

You can find the test button by navigating to AirVPN Preferences > Protocols. It's in the protocols tab. Make sure the Tor protocol is selected and you should be able to click the test button located adjacent to the Tor connection settings.

Also if anyone knows what is resetting the iptable rules on reboot causing network leak until AirVPN client is started and sets iptables again, that be great!

Hello!

Thanks for your tip! It really helped, because something must have been seriously wrong with my vision...

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question, but it gave me a hint, since I had to reboot my computer to make tunnelblick OR my browsers (TorBrowser and normal browsers) perform properly again after quitting AirVPN client.

Unfortunately, things are only working half-way. The AirVPN client seems to be trying to connect to a AirVPN server, but it can't find the tor path. More than all, when I perform the test procedure under AirVPN Preferences > Protocols,  I get an error stating:

Unable to communicate with TOR (Unable to find your TOR path.). Is TOR up and running?

I wanted to ask someone who has been able to do a AirVPN over Tor connection on OSX for some pointers. What I'm doing right now is simply:

1) Launch TorBrowser

2) Lauch AirVPN client configured to use Tor and try to connect to a AirVPN server

Under the ../Tor/ page of this site, it states that further configurations may be necessary for Tor Control Authentication :

In other environments, some configuration in torrc (probably under /etc/tor/torrc) may be required. First of all, ensure that ControlPort is enabled

ControlPort 9151

Now you have two choices.

• Enable cookie authentication
    CookieAuthentication 1
    AirVPN will automatically find your cookie and use it for authentication.
  • Enable password authentication

Run from terminal

# tor --hash-password mypassword
    Enter the output hash in your torrc config, for example
    HashedControlPassword 16:851734B275BAD36760FDE881DF23C79D2D55B45962F0DE96A1BD2499CD
    Don't forget to restart Tor daemon. Enter your password in AirVPN preferences.

I located the torrc file:

~/Library/Application Support/TorBrowser-Data/torrc

Now, my question is, do I need to install Tor (not just TorBrowser) for this to work, since I don't seem to have a 'tor' binary or alias in order to exetute:

tor --hash-password mypassword

Thank you!

I believe Tor Browser has it's own copy of Tor built in that is launched and managed from the browser. If you are just wanting to browse you should be able to just launch tor browser then connect to an air server. The Tor package that you install is if you want to run a Tor stand alone Daemon for use as a relay/bridge or without a browser.

Yes, you need to install the Tor package. The Tor Browser Bundle is just a secured browser configured to use Tor (which is bundled with the browser).

​I was looking into my problem with iptables resetting on reboot, I found out I can use the command iptables-save. To save them. After executing that command, all traffic leaks when the AirVPN client is closed (???). AirVPN client's network locking method is completely messed for me and now I don't trust using it. I've since reverted back to using OpenVPN + UFW for network lock. How do I configure this to use Tor?

Thank you all for your help.

I installed the Tor package and configured AirVPN and the torrc file but I get an error stating that it can't connect to localhost at port 9150. I'll try doing this with OpenVPN and get back.

Thank you.

It's been a few days since I last posted. I was finally able to test a AirVPN over Tor. It took a while since nothing worked until I did a full reinstall of OS X. I checked my IP and it seems to be working, but I can't say for sure (I can only guess that the DNS servers that seem to be unrelated to AirVPN are associated with the traffic through Tor.

1) After I start Tor on my terminal, I randomly see warnings (while surfing) stating that a connection with Tor could not be established and dropped (I apologize that I don't have the exact warning message). In this case, does all traffic go directly through AirVPN as usual?

2) Would this setup be the same as using TorBrowser (without Tor package installed on my OS) with a DD-WRT configured with a AirVPN server? I ask this because as described in my first question, the Tor connection seems to be unstable, and I also thought that if the DD-WRT is configured with a AirVPN server, then I won't have to worry about the VPN dropping either.

Thank you!