Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.218.184
Sign in to follow this  
rms2016

Changing local ISP DNS server IP addresses to openNIC/OpenDNS

Hi, as the title says, this is what I want to do, but not sure how. I'm running Linux Mint 18 and using AirVPN. I've read that changing these IP addresses will provide further privacy. I realise it involves changing router settings like dynamic to static, and also making some changes in my network connections, but I don't know what I'm changing the IP addresses to, nor what exactly I need to do in my network connections. A simple walk through would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

I normally don't link guides, but since this is a simple question with a simple answer... How to change DNS servers in Ubuntu Linux. You must reboot after saving the changes, you can ensure that everything is set up correctly by doing

cat /etc/resolv.conf

which will show the current DNS servers.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

Great, thanks. So do I need to change the DNS server to manual in my router settings as well? And I read I need to change my IP address from dynamic to static, also in my router settings.... Sorry, painfully transparent how much I know about this :/

You shouldn't have to make any more changes. You can ensure that your DNS queries are being sent through your non-ISP's by using DNSleaktest.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

Or by using the super awesome ipleak.net created by our very own AirVPN.

That works as well! I use both. I do like DNSleaktest's "extended test" (which preforms 36 queries) to double check that I do not have any DNS leaks.