Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.170.183
Sign in to follow this  
highchilled

Encrypting Dual-Boot System (Linux, Windows)

Hello everybody!

I've a short question, before I start shooting my drive in pieces again.

I have this notebook here.
There is 1TB drive and made it up as dual-boot (Win7 + Kali Linux 2)

I made 4 partitions manually:

1. Win-System (this ~100MB)
2. Win7 OS + VM's (about 600GB)
3. 256MB Boot-partition for GRUB-Bootloader.
4. sda_crypt (LUKS-encrypted) with the Linux (about 300GB). (No Swap-partition)

I want to encrypt Windows 7 now with TrueCrypt - I know I it will mess the GRUB-Bootloader then, so that I think I will not be able to boot in Kali again.

It will be then like this:
1TrueCrypt-Bootloader --> Win-Bootloader --> GRUB-Bootloader

Does anybody know how I can encrypt the windows on a secure way, to be able to access both OS after doing so?

P.S. I already messed it up a few times - that's why I'm afraid now

regards,
me

you probably saw this but just in case:

http://eleccelerator.com/alternative-way-to-dual-boot-truecrypted-windows-and-fully-encrypted-linux/

done duals but not a windows full encryption so curious on that myself, please post up the fix you find

if you would, plus might help others to know that also

i don't dual any more, i just wreck my boxes too often, 'tweaker' in me, i fix it till it's brokeD

as usual, if you have that 'bug' yourself as i call it, well, do windows a favor and move it to its own box

that way you got something stable which once configd right, 7 is solid day after day

cheerz

Hey cm0s!

you probably saw this but just in case:
http://eleccelerator.com/alternative-way-to-dual-boot-truecrypted-windows-and-fully-encrypted-linux/

Yea I saw that and all these tutorials are unfortunalety different from my problem + they all start with encrypting windows partition first.
So that way doesn't work

done duals but not a windows full encryption so curious on that myself, please post up the fix you find
if you would, plus might help others to know that also

Yes I got one suggestion from a colleague - That I have to replace GRUB-Bootloader via GRUB-rescue after encrypting windows with TrueCrypt.
But he's also not sure about it, that's why I asked here again... Maybe I'll try that - if it's successfull I'll post results.

i don't dual any more, i just wreck my boxes too often, 'tweaker' in me, i fix it till it's brokeD

same here, but it's very useful to have both on one machine next to each other ;D So I try hard

as usual, if you have that 'bug' yourself as i call it, well, do windows a favor and move it to its own box
that way you got something stable which once configd right, 7 is solid day after day

Yea I also have other notebooks, seperate windows and linux ones.
This one is for going on vacation, that's why I want everything encrypted (hotel and such) or in case I lose it or it gets stolen...

Anyways thanks again for you sugggestions!

regards,
me

Hmm that looks interesting... I already wrecked it a few times this month - so why not try it

Should work, because after encrypting with TC, I'll be able to boot into Windows.

So I can use this. Pray for my machines!