Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.190.52
Milou13

Testing connection with Wireshark

Ok boys and girls

Been testing my connection with wireshark. Have a few questions. Hope to get my answers here. Here we go:

Option one: User->VPN

My_Screenshot2.png

Everything looks perfect. There's just one conversation, which encrypted as well. Question #1. How's wireshark still able to see my browsed urls? See pics below

Myscreenshot3.png

Option two.

User->SSL(VPN)

My_Screenshot.png

Question #2. Why some of connections is in plain TCP not TLSV1.2?

Question #3. Why wireshark sees my urls? See pic below

My_Screenshot1.png

Thanks a lot!

Wireshark, just like any privileged software on your system can see your traffic before it is encrypted inside the tunnel.

In order to monitor DNS requests only, even a low privileged process is sufficient in many cases.

TLS occurs after your traffic leaves the local adapter, so if you monitor the local adapter, you will see clear traffic.

You have to monitor your tun interface in order to see the encrypted data (you will not see the actual data, just the pattern).

When you capture all traffic in Wireshark, it will also parse DNS requests and responses, and this is the menu to see them.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.