Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.177.75

Sharing connection from laptop to a router

Total noob here with already a set-up that's little over my understanding, but hopefully I can get some help

So recently I moved to a new apartment building that offers a fast WiFi connection, but the catch is that you need to log in to the system, and it only allows for one connection. I have successfully circumvented this by sharing the WiFi on my Mac to Etnernet-connected Buffalo router that I had left over from my previous apartment, and now I get all my devices running on the same connection flawlessly.

However it seems that PlayStation Network is blocked (or just somehow else not functional) on the connection, and I have verified that PSN is actually up and running by connecting my PS3 via hotspot on my 4G phone, and that works. So I thought that I'll just get myself a VPN on my Mac, and that'll be the end of the discussion. However it seems that while my Mac connects to the VPN without any problems, the connection won't get shared to the Ethernet, and as such I get no internet on my devices.

Is there something I am missing here, or what? Thanks for all the help!

Why don't you authenticate your router against the hotspot, and then use all the devices behind the router?

Sounds like a cleaner approach to this issue.

The WiFi login will authenticate you based on the MAC address of the connecting device, in which case it will be the router.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.