Not connected, Your IP: 18.190.156.212
Sign in to follow this  
Littlemexican

BolehVPN got a information request by authorities

Hi guys,

My old vpn provider BolehVPN had got a information request by authorities:

Seems interresting. Wonder how this ends

We have been served an information request by authorities on one of our German servers for suspected serious criminal activity however we have not complied with the request and reiterate our stand that we do not keep any user logs.There are other potential information such as payment details which however may be available.Source: https://www.bolehvpn.net/canary.txt

Their statement was not very clear and I am not sure what are you trying to say with this thread.

Also:

There are other potential information such as payment details which however may be available.

Honestly I did not understand the meaning of this. Does it mean they have the payment info for

the mentioned user account and they just don't want to hand it over? The question is, why do they

keep such records in the first place. Warrant canaries might be a good effort, but the problem with

most of them are:

1) The shady providers that have things to hide will use it as a buzz word, and hide any meaningful info

2) Honest providers don't really need a warrant canary. The announcement page is a canary by itself.

So all critical and important updates are posted there directly, which kind of defeating the entire purpose.

Disclaimer:

I don't really believe in the whole "warrant canary" concept. This can work great for journalists but can take

no place with public access providers, be it a VPN, P2P, anything that comes to your mind. Such providers

have to be tested and proven by time and actions, not a message on their website once in X time that means nothing.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

We have been served an information request by authorities on one of our German servers for suspected serious criminal

activity however we have not complied with the request and reiterate our stand that we do not keep any user logs.

Don't expect any provider to defy the law in their jurisdiction. If they have not complied, then it must not have had legal force. They may then have broken the law if they did comply. There are privacy laws in western countries.

There are other potential information such as payment details which however may be available.

I think keeping payment information is legally required in all western countries. Taxes, right? Again, don't expect any provider to defy the law in their jurisdiction.

UPDATE:

This earlier post by AirVPN staff may be relevant here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/11359-withdrawal-announcement-crucis/?p=16829

Quoting that: "In order to prevent any potential, bigger problem, we have therefore decided to put an end to VPN activity in any Italian server."

I think that announcement illustrates my point nicely. Users of a VPN need to have confidence in the legal expertise of their provider. So that they can avoid having to release information without defying the law outright.